1992 Sea Doo SP HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1992 Sea Doo SP HELP!!

Remove the handle grip and loosen the set screw and slide the stop/start housing back away from the handlebars enough to remove the red switch from the plastic housing. You will see two small wires going into the switch.
    It is not uncommon to find that one wire has pulled out of the switch, or is barely making contact. In this case, you need to buy a new start/stop switch.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Now the starting button is down in front of the seat. Its a 92 SP.
      Up on the handle bar is just the red kill switch. Will I still see 2 wires up in the red kill switch?

Also, if a wire was loose up in there, would this cause the ignition switch to not work? How do I take apart the ignition switch to see if the contact pad has fallen again, just like the mechanics at the sea doo shop had found originally....to the tune of 85 bucks!

I just don't understand when it would die, and I would hit the ignition switch that I would get nothing, until I wait a few seconds....I mean what is happening in those few moments that I wait?

And if there is a bad connection on the kill switch or the start switch, would these bad connections kill the engine all together...am I understanding that correctly? Would just the kill switch have to have a bad connection to kill the motor, or could the ignition switch have a bad connection that would also kill the motor if it got loose during a run?
      Thanks,<br />Devan

Comment

You have 2 switches, not one. So, the start swicth has noting to do with the ingition cutting out. But, the kill swicth could cause the engine to shut off if it is screwing up. Check it out and test it.

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot take apart the kill switch, as it is in a molded rubber casing. But you could test it while wiggling the wires around to see if loses contact.

Some switches on Sea Doo watercraft are open switches and some are closed switches. A combination start/stop switch like on later models is normally open, whereas , an engine stop switch on an earlier model SD is closed in the operating position and open when you depress it. This type switch is linked to the safety lanyard switch because they are wired in series.
        Their operation can be verified with an ohm meter. Instructions to test them are in the service manual.

Note*
        The MPEM has a relay intregated into it working off a 30 second timer. it should stay on for approximately 30 seconds after you activate the ignition, then shut off. The relay can be the problem of some faulty ignition situatoins.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Allright...I took it into the Sea Doo shop again, and they noticed that the other fuse (the 5 amp fuse) had some wear and tear on the inside of the fuse holder. So another 80 bucks later and I am taking their advice and I will replace this fuse myself.

Would this fuse, if it did not have a strong connection, make the ski die at full throttle flat on its face? By looking at the electrical diagram for the 92 SP, it looks like that this fuse is just needed for iginition, but that also is my problem after it dies. I have to get it a few minutes before I get ignition after hitting the start switch. I hope replacing this works....

Everyone say a prayer for me this weekend..... Its getting humiliating being towed in on a non-operational 1992 SP (pink and purple graphic) Sea Doo
          : ^ )
          Thanks,<br />Devan

Comment

Any momentary interruption of the power to the ignition will shut the motor off. That is exactly how the stop switch shuts the motor off, by interrupting the current to the ignition.
            Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Originally posted by boatbuilder42
              Everyone say a prayer for me this weekend..... Its getting humiliating being towed in on a non-operational 1992 SP (pink and purple graphic) Sea Doo
              : ^ )
              That is humiliating.

Comment

Charge the battery so you can get it started. Before you start it measure the dc voltage at the battery, it should be about 12.5 vdc. Then start it and the voltage should go up to about 13.5-14 vdc. That means it charging. If it doesn't go up open the electrical box and the thing about 2" square is the rectifier. it will have 2 yellow wires coming out of it. Hook your voltmeter to the wires one may be yellow/black strip with it on ac volts this time. Start the engine and you should get about 35-45 vac. That tells you your stator is working.
                It's pretty common for the regulator/rectifier to go bad on those.
                Dick Bell
                http://www.hansenskidoo.com

Comment

The rectifier has already been replaced. I put in a brand new one about 5-6 weeks ago. Along with 2 new relays, new plugs, battery, and 15 amp fuse.

Figuratively speaking..."I'm down to my last fuse." So hopefully replacing this 5 amp fuse does the trick.

The last time I took it into the Sea Doo shop, they tested the charging system and it checked out. So....once again, "HOPEFULLY, this is it."
                  Thanks,<br />Devan

Comment

Working...
                  X