951 - Fuel lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 951 - Fuel lines

I have a 99 XP limited that was having some engine trouble two seasons ago (due to an injury I was only able to ride a few times last year [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img] ). From what I've read on the posts, it seems like it was running lean...the high rpms were in an out, almost like it was running on one cylinder. I decided to rebuild my carbs, and sure enough the internal filters were clogged.

I have two questions:

1) After reading some threads on the defective 951 fuel lines, should I replace my lines and rebuild the carbs again? How do you clean the entire fuel system (tank, valves, etc.)?

2) How can I check for any permaneant damage from riding the ski lean? I rode the ski all day when I was having the engine problems...hindsight, probably not a good idea! However, it seemed to run okay last year...what should I be looking for???

Thanks for your help guys...the site is amazing!!

First do a compression check. You can easily pull the RAVEs off and look throught he slots to inspect the pistons tops for obvious damage.

To fully clean the system you need to siphon or pump the tank dry, blow the lines out, replace and that are delaminating on the inside (all would be safer), replace the switch, mop out the bottom of the tank and rebuild the carbs. Unfortunately you can't opent he carbs to wash or check them without needing a rebuild kit, the gaskets are not reuseable.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I don't have a compression gauge yet...any good ones you recommend? Also, for a 951, is 140psi with an allowed 5% difference between cylinders correct?

For damage to piston heads, is it easy to look through the RAVE valves? What do I do, remove them and shine a flashlight into the opening?? Piston tops should look smooth, right?? I'll try it tomorrow...thanks for your help guys!

Comment

I just checked compression and it doesn't look good...150 front/140 rear. The rear also seems like it took longer to reach peak compression. I haven't removed the rave valves to examine the pistons yet.

Does this mean I shouldn't ride?? Any advice would be great...I rode a few times last year with no problems, but I don't want to push my luck. Then again, it's so beautiful out here today/tomorrow...it would be awesome to be on the water, but if it's going to mess up the ski...

Thanks guys...looking forward to your advice!

Comment

Let me also ask if there is a preferred fuel line to use as a replacement and how much is required?
          my gsx is 400hp........

Comment

I used automotive low pressure hose. I really forget now, but 16ft of 8mm and the rest is 6mm I think for the return line. The biggest pain is the top of the tank were many lines terminate.

As for 99xpl guy it is not only bad fuel lines. You are sucking water as it drips down from the tray and it goes directly into your carbs through that assine air box sea-doo uses.

You need Fly flame arrestors and outerwears on your carbs (plus a jet kit) or your problem will never go away. Plus your head pipe to exhaust manifold joint could be bad and there is a Sea-doo kit for that as well. Same kit parts are on 2000 xpls from factory.

As far as your motor, well at least one piston is done and you might have worn parts of your crank as well.

Comment

Well I didn't really answer your question about driving it. Basicly, your xpl is now a "time bomb". It needs a top end and probably for long life, a bottom end. But you must look at first fixing the initial water ingestion problems/issues or it will quit on you soon.

Don't ski far from shore and in all seriousness, the XPL will hold a collapsing paddle in the tray.

Also, think about trading this ski into a dealer. They are great skis, even the 99, but the have many madatory issues to work through and so that's not what many folks either can do or want to. Don't sell it privately. It will blow up on whomever gets it next.

I have been through the whole deal. New complete motor from Bombardier, 2000 pump support plate from Bombardier, level one from self, and about 6 other fixes and mods.

Comment

Working...
              X