oil bath pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil bath pressure

Hello, on my 96 GTI i have discovered that i had a leak around the oil bath fitting on the intake side beneath the rotary valve. my question is on pressure: is there a lot of pressure when the engine is running on this fitting or perhaps i recall it's just under the forces of gravity...
    also, concerning the oil pump. tomorrow after work i am going to test the oil pump while it's hooked to the oil line that has the filter on it. i was going to take my dremel electric drill and put a soft felt tip on it and run it counterclockwise on the oil pump gear while hooked to the oil line. should this work and if so should oil flow out of the 1/8 inch lines?
    thank you in advance.

there is minimal pressure on this fitting. The area heats up and any pressure created is released thru the returhn line into the oil tank. Seadoo suggests this fitting be sealed by using loctite. Also, the dremel should work but it needs to spin in reverse and/or counter- clockwise.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Ok, thanks. it actually wasn't leaking around the threads of the fitting. it was leaking around the hose clamp. i believe the clear rubber hose was pushed up too far on the fitting and things weren't sealed well. OH..regarding the oil filter. is that a special oil filter on there or can i get a replacement from an auto store?
      thanks very much

Comment

It's a special part, pick one up at your SD dealer.

Comment

Ok. thanks. i'll do that friday. but for tonight it's hooked up to the same filter. when i run the dremel in reverse and turn the oil gear, what sort of flow rate should i be looking for coming out of the 1/8 inch lines? i mean, should it be fast or slow and can i regulate this on the pump?
          thank you.

Comment

Leave the pump arm alone - slow, a couple oz per min.

Comment

great. i'll try that in an hour or so. and should i turn out the bleed screw while the pump is running to get rid of any air? and when the oil starts pumping through the 1/8 inch lines is it safe to leave the oil in the lines and hook them back up to the intake manifold?

thanks again!

Comment

You bleed while NOT running. The injection lines prime in a few seconds.

Comment

Ok, now given this is a brand new pump from sea-doo in canada i would think that it should work. having not touched the arm i couldn't get a flow. i had to move the arm a bit past the mark to get flow. i'm not sure what the average rpm is at which the gear spins though so not sure if that could have something to do with it.

Comment

You need to spin between 3000 and 7000 to get an appreciable flow. Doing it this way just tells you if it's completely shot or not, you can't test it for full functionality rigged like that.

Comment

10-4. i did get flow, that is certain. i saw it come out in spurts...it wasn't a constant flow but a pulsating type of flow. is that to be expected? i didn't run it on the highest speed but this dremel will do 35,000 rpm.

Comment

it seems as if the two lines on the oil pump don't exactly line up. how do i adjust the oil pump line so they will line up? throttle cable is hooked up and at idle.

Comment

Adjust the oil cable via the 10mm nuts at the bracket.

Comment

Ok, thanks. i did that and i just went outside with the dremel and turned the thing to the next to highest setting (highest is 35,000 rpm) and the pump doesn't pump oil until about 1/4 inch past the marked line. i just don't understand that. the 1/8 inch lines are just hanging not hooked to anything. any input on that? suggestions?

thanks.

Comment

Ahh I see. It just makes it scary to hook up the oil pump back in the system when you don't see it flow with the lines matched up [img]smile.gif[/img] i wish there was a way of telling if the pump was working while the motor was running...that would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X