Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 GTX RFI MOTOR MAKING GRINDING NOISE

Hi Everyone:
    I just bought a used 2001 GTX RFI with 14.2 hours on it yesterday. Everything on
    the boat looks like new. I ran it for 2 hours this morning trouble free. I put it back
    on the trailer and towed it home (10 minute trip). When I got home, I tried to turn
    the motor over while on the trailer to start it briefly to make sure all the water was
    out of the exhaust. The motor makes a grinding noise when I'm cranking it, and
    will not start. I tried charging the battery, checked the cylinders for water, etc and
    can't find anything obvious. This ski has only had factory XP synthetic oil run in it.
    Is this motor fried, or am I missing something obvious? Does the GTX RFI have a
    good service history. Somebody please help me!.....Jim from Virginia

Well, it certainly has a lot fo gremlins and you will be servicing it here and there - and I advise you to get a good AGM battery (and keep it topped off all the time)...but when it runs it's a fun ski to cruise on.

As for your problem - are you sure it was the engine making noise? Was it actually turning over? Or was it the starter solenoid making a creeking noise, TRYING to turn it over?

If you are sure it was actually turning over - check the pump - you probably have something in there jammed up.

Comment

Brian:
      I searched the archives and cleaned the battery connections with sand paper.
      Unfortunately, it did not help. The engine is not turning over. The starter is making
      the grinding noise. If I get under the ski, and eyeball the impeller, it moves a slight
      amount when my daughter presses the start button. The jet drive is completely clear
      and clean. No obstructions. From what I'm seeing and hearing, I think the starter is
      trashed. The battery is good. I've charged it on the 2 amp setting, and turned it to
      10 amps setting when engaging the starter with no change in symptoms. Anyone
      have a good procedure on starter removal. I have no service manual yet!....Jim

Comment

There are two bolts at th back of the starter holding it to the case - one has the ground calbe on it. Remove these and wiggle the starter back out of the flywheel housing. Don't forget to detatch the positive cable off the terminal on the side of the starter also.

Comment

Bryan:
          Is there enough clearance to remove the starter without taking the exhaust off or
          other major assemblies? Jim

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Bryan:
              I got my new starter last night. I removed both hex head fasteners that hold the starter to the case, and the positive lead has been removed. I've tried wiggling it out, and it will not come off the case. Do you have any tips on getting it off? There is not
              much room to work. I don't want to pry with screw driver and mess machined services
              up. If anyone has suggestions, I need your help!.....Jim

Comment

They can be real tough to remove, especially in the small confines of the boat. Use a prybar or screwdriver blade between the housing and the starter motor to pry it torwards the rear of the boat. It will come out.
                Bill O'Neal WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

But, a grinding noise ? Sounds more like a starter clutch problem, than a starter motor problem.

The starter clutch is located behind the flywheel in the front of the motor. To remove it you need to pull the flywheel off.
                  Bill O'Neal WCM
                  <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Thanks guys for the quick reply. Bill, the starter clutch assembly on the RFI is on the starter itself. It's part number 278-001-106. I think that is the failing item as well and will check it and post what I find. I got a whole starter assembly because I want to
                    get back on the water while I am still on vacation, and I was not sure of the exact failing item. This way I can repair the old starter, and have a spare, or help someone else with it if the time comes. I'm going back out to the boat now to get this starter off and try your suggestions. Thanks a million for you time and experience....it is greatly appreciated!.....Jim

Comment

Just an update. I've tried using a large straight blade screw driver and a small pry-
                      bar. I can get the top pulled away from the case about a quarter inch, but the bottom
                      is binding, and it will not pop off. I'm really fighting it. Anyone else have more ideas.
                      I should not have to take the engine out to get the starter off.....is that correct?....Jim

Comment

I try to get both hands down there and beat it...and sometimes you need to use some lube. [img]graemlins/buck.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes, you are correct. I was thinking you had a 951 motor.

Did you remove the bolt that bolts the bracket at the rear of the starter motor to the cases ? It has a 13 mm bolt head.
                          Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

Hi Everyone:
                            I've done battle almost all day trying to get my starter off, and have stopped for the day. I think I pryed it too far from the top, and now it is cocked over too much in one direction and cannot straighten it out or get it removed from the case. I have pryed on it, tapped it with a stick and hammer, used ever ounce of strength in my hands, and it has won the battle today. If I can't get it off tomorrow after Church, I may have to take it to a dealer and wait in disgrace for a week or two. Unfortunately, my vacation time will be over, and it's back to work. Now I'm concerned about wrecking my case trying to get the thing removed, and feeling I may need to pack it in for the professionals to handle. On the surface it seemed so easy...remove the battery leads,
                            remove the positive lead going to the starter, and then remove the two metric M8 hex head bolts, and remove it. Problem is, it's stuck tight to the case....I mean tight with no room to work. I beat tired, bruised, cut all over on my arms and hands....no wonder mechanics make $65/hr working on these things...good night all....Jim

Comment

Bill:
                              I just saw your post about a 13ml fastener at the "rear starter support". I have seen references in the service manual, but have not seen that or looked for it. I've got a new starter part #278001497, and it has no where I can see for a fastener in the rear.
                              In the back or rear of the starter, you have the stud for the positive lead, and two studs on the end of the starter holding the case of the assembly together. Can you direct me to a diagram in the service manual that shows this "rear support". Give me a page number and diagram number if possible. I have the service manual and the parts manual, but I've only had them for 24 hours, so I am not real familiar with them yet. The starter removal section has no diagrams for the 787 RFI, but many pictures of the 947 engine. No wonder the starter is not coming off if there is a rear support holding it somewhere!....Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X