This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 GTX 4TEC SC - Oil

I have a SC with 7 hours on it. After checking the oil I found it to be low (about 1/4" below the lower bend in the dipstick). I checked with the dealer who told me to make sure I was using the correct method to check the oil (I was). He said that if it was, in fact low, to add some 10W40, but not to over fill it.

Last night I added about 1 liter of 10W40 and the oil reads 1/2 way on the dipstick. I operated the PWC for about 1 1/2 hours last night.

This morning, I read elsewhere on this forum that the engine uses synthetic oil??

Have I caused damage?

[ July 23, 2003, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: kayjh ]

The motor has break-in oil from the factory - not synthetic. The type of oil you added is fine. However, make sure the engine is warm, has run the required time, is level, and checked within 30 seconds of shutdown. These dry sump oil systems can be overfilled very easily.

Comment

Roger,
      If Sea Doo calls for 5w-30 synthetic oil in the SC models. Why would they not use snytheic during break-in? I only use synthetic in my SC and changed to synthetic in my non-SC.

kayjh,
      Roger is right that you didnt do damage by adding 10/40 non-synthetic. But, be sure to have the 10 hour inspection done. Also make sure the dealer or however does it that synthetic oil is used.

[ July 24, 2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: 4-stroke ]
      2002 GTX 4-tec Limited / 2003 GTX 4-tec SC Limited

Comment

Synthetics are not used during break-in to give the rings, cam, etc. a better chance of seating and wearing properly. Too good of a lubricant hampers that ability.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

As a sidenote, a friend has a TDI Golf with just over 200k on it and the intake gets carboned up all the time. Apparently as it came with Mobile 1 from the factory the rings never broke in properly and this is a result of blowby getting through the PCV system.

Comment

4-stroke,

Only Bombardier knows why they don't use synthetic during breakin (I called yesterday to confirm that the SC ships with 10W40 mineral oil), but I could speculate: It may be desireable to use mineral oil during breakin to speed the smoothing (wearing together) of the friction parts of the engine. Lowering the friction by using synthetic oil, would delay that process.

I have a 1999 BMW 540i (4.4L V8) which was delivered with BMW synthetic oil. No other oil is recommended for the engine. I was told that BMW manufactures their engines to very close tolerances and employs meticulous machining to achieve a close fit from the start. Thus, a higher level of friction is unnecessary. They must have a point as I change the oil twice a year (and it is clean when I change it) and I only use about 1/2 a litre every 6 months and only after sustained driving at high speeds (90MPH).

With respect to switching to synthetic oil at the 10 hour check, I don't think I will do so. I may put another 20 hours on by the end of the season (which in Canada is usually the end of August) and will change with synthetic oil at that point. I think this will ensure a complete break in.

I'm not sure what the value of synthetic oil really is. The oil only goes about 30 - 40 hours before being changed, so oil "breakdown" shouldn't be an issue, and the decreased friction with synthetic isn't likely to result in an increase in top speed that would be meaningful (or I would care about).

Having said the above, I'll probably switch to synthetic at the end of the season because of the promise of reduced engine wear, insignificant cost and it couldn't hurt (after an adequate break in period).

What do you think??

Comment

I can see now why you would not use synthetic during break-in. But, as far as cars, they dont rev at 4500-5000 rpm at cruise speeds more less 7000 rpm or more at WOT. I have always used synthetic oils in my high rev toys. Whether it be a 2 or 4 stroke. It has worked well for me and I have had very little troubles due to friction.

Comment

4-stroke,

I totally agree with your comments regarding cars. In the end, after break in, I'm sure the lower the friction, the better, especially in "high rev" applications.

Comment

In the end. You seem to be the kind of person that takes care of your things. That in itself is all you need. I make a good living off of people that "could care less" and dont ask questions. They always seem to "care" after a healthy bill.

Have Fun!

Comment

Re: 2003 GTX 4TEC SC - Oil

There is a service bulletin from SeaDoo explaining that all SC models must use the 10w40 mineral oil so that u don't get super charger clutch slippage. All non SC models may still use the 5w40 syn oil.
                    I can email it to anyone that needs a copy.

Comment

in the mustang world guys with higher horsepower cars only use synthetics and its been tested and proven not to heat up as fast and break down wayyyy later then conventional .. i have a 93 cobra with a blower on it and i have used synthetics from day 1 as have all the big time racers with cars .. anyone that claims synthetics doesnt bind better .. heat up way less /later ..last longer than convetional oils really doesnt know what there talking about and shouldnt be changing oil let alone working on motors it has benn tested and proven .. iv witnessed mustangs on dynos pick up as much as 10 hp from draining all fluids and adding all sythetics and a couple bottles of water wetter ...
                      #*@* ME IF IM WRONG ... BUT HAVENT WE MET BEFORE?

Comment

No one is arguing that, and synthetic would definitely be better for the block. However the SC clutch on the Sea-Doo iunits is also bathed in oil, and starts slipping after use with synthetic. This issue has nothing to do with which oil is better for an engine.
                        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim4tec02
                          There is a service bulletin from SeaDoo explaining that all SC models must use the 10w40 mineral oil so that u don't get super charger clutch slippage. All non SC models may still use the 5w40 syn oil.
                          I can email it to anyone that needs a copy.
                          Jim I would like to have a copy of the service bulletin. I've been looking all over for it but can't seem to find anything. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X