priming oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks tech support.

I got the head pulled off my buddies and i also yanked the raves....i can't find nothing wrong, unless it seized on the other side of the piston.

Are the pistons rings suppose to have a visible slot? By them slots on both pistons, i noticed black on the cylinder wall...is that blow by?

The things moves very freely

Comment

why don't you try simple first?
      Put new plugs on the ski and see if that works. Charge the battery up all the way too, that would definately help. Your buddy may have squeaked a small one, who knows. But start simple and work your way up.
      later,
      96xper

Comment

Where do you see the slots? I assume you mean the ends of the rings. They should be on the opposite side of the piston away from the Rave valves. If it's still visible there is an arrow on the piston crown that points towards the exhaust port. Just worried that you are seeing the slots as you call them through the rave holes and the pistons are fitted back to front.

Comment

Ok guys, figure this one out...

I personally took the ski out on the water today and it did the same thing...i ran it for 10 miniutes and it started to bogg and act like it was going to die, so i hit the stop button.

I turned the lows out a bit and after that started it up...it started right up with no problem and ran for an hour with no problems.

Can a lean condition cause the engine to bog and quit..cause i can't see no visible signs of damage.

And yes the slots are on the oppisite side of the rave

[ July 27, 2003, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

Steve, just so you know the crank does not run in an oil bath. the only portion in an oil bath is the gear and the rotery valve drive shaft. The rod bearings pin and crank and the crankshaft bearings are lubercated by the oil in the fuel as are the pistons. Also you would gain a better look at the pistons by pulling the exhaust manifold than you will by pulling the head. Unless severly damaged the cylnders will not show damage until you hit them lightly with a hone the all the scratches will be there for all the world to see. When i puld the rave on my engine i saw light scuffing on one piston. When i pulled the exhaust it looked like someone had taken a grinder to the lower portion of the piston. BTW mine runs fine too until the piston heats and sticks again. Richining the fuel helps tp cool the piston but if has seized the problem is still there and wont go away

Comment

Mellow,

It is not locked up, i ran the piss out of it for an hour and no problems......i can't justify pulling the motor apart if it ran like that.

I had no bog or hesitation at low end, i hit 54-56 on top end. and this was over an hour period.

The motor is fine, if i had a seizure that thing would have locked up......like i said it ran great for an hour.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Comment

Steve, it was seizing, over and over, doing more and more damage. It will only get worse, and yes it's very common to have the damage on the other sides of the pistons - you can't see them through rave slots. It can be fixed now or later, but it won't get better.
                SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Tech support, don't you think i would have seen a loss in power if i had mucked up pistons?

I guess i need to learn my sh**

Cause it ran great

Comment

ok guys, i'll take your word for it and yank the cylinders off and have a peak at the other sides of the pistons....you have never steered me wrong, so i trust you guys.

I have no idea if this is a possiblity, i have never heard of it....but, could a ring have snagged and got hung up causing a way over rich motor.....cause the plugs were shot....... when i put the new plugs in and tweeked the lows i had no problems

Comment

ok, explain to me why it is seizing over and over again and running just fine?

Tech support, i am not trying to be an a**, but i just don't get this........i see nothin wrong.

I had 0 problems over an hour period, it ran friggen great...i'd kill it and it would instantly fire right up and run like a raped ape.

Like i said, i pulled the head, and it looked fine......if i had a seizeing piston, don't you think there would have been a loss of power/performance?........i'm lost, or just stupid.

Please explain [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

Comment

ok guys....after a few beers me and my buddy got modivated and pulled it apart.........not a **** thing wrong.....either i'm drunk or i am getting crap advice, cause the pistons are completly in tact.....so, what the crap? What's the problem here? Do i need to split the cases to peak at the crank and bearings?

I think electrical, but know one wants to listen. If it is that, what should i be looking at?

ya all want to join and have a beer :D

Comment

If you have given accurate gauge readings, and your story is right - it was seizing over and over until you richened it up - it did sustain damage, and performance did go down a bit whether you can feel it or not. I don't know what to tell you without seeing it, we can only go by what you tell us.

Comment

Thanks tech support.

Seriously though, now that the beer is gone out of my system....lol

I see no signs of damage on the pistons or sleeves. I guess he got lucky. Should i split the cases and inspect further, or you think he is good to go?

I know you can't tell me it's ok, but whats your opinion?

Comment

I really have no idea...something doesn't add up. Send pics if you have them.

Comment

I'll try to find a digital cam today and shoot some pics and post them.

I'm baffled to. This thing blew an oil line, thus causing it to die. I figured it would be a mess inside the motor, but none at all. And i personally rode it yesterday and it ran great....no bog or hesitation, and hit 54-56 on the dream-o-meter.

This is far fetched, very far fetched.....but, when the oil line blew, you think there also could have been some kind electrical problem at the same time and that killed the motor, thus saving the motor.

Because i am running out of things to tell him.........lol

Comment

Working...
                                X