priming oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• priming oil pump

How do you prime the 2 small lines going from the pump to the intake...can you use a drill or do you have to fill them with oil?

And no tech support, this is not my ski....LOL

Pull the plugs and ground the leads, hold the pump lever in the WOT position and crank the motor. If the pipes are not covered with paint you should see the oil pulse along them.

Comment

Thanks Colin

Comment

ok guys, what do you think.

my buddy had his ski out after i replaced some oil line going from the pump to the intake..cause one broke and had a possible oil failure.

Well, he took it out and it ran great for 10 miniutes at all throttle posistions...then at about 75-90% throttle it just quit, He towed it back and yanked the plugs and they looked fine, cranked it without the plugs and it spun fine. Put the plugs back in and it fired right up.

Could this be a partial seizure, maybe more if he trys to run it again?BTW, it fires right up on the trailor, he has yet to put it back in the water.

And no tech support, this is not my ski...cause i know thats what your thinking....LMAO

Comment

BTW....he yanked the plugs in the lake after it died and there was no blow by....put them back in and tried to start, it would crank good but not start.

Comment

Steve i would check the rod bearings on the crank. Oil failure there will show as bluing of the rod if its been hot. Thats how my old engine let go.

Comment

Can you just pull the intake to have a peak, or do you have to split the cases?

Comment

Sorry, it's a 97 XP......

And "NO' it is not mine tech, i learned from my muck up....well it wasn't really my fault, just cheap parts i guess......not yours tech, seadoo parts..anyways, back to the topic

Comment

Yes, just remove the intake and turn the crank the rod jurnals will come right up to the intake port.

Comment

ok, let me try this again.......

It ran great for 10 miniutes at all throttle positions and just flat out quit. No bogging, just died instantly.

he pulled the plugs and they were even across the board and looked good. He cranked it with the plugs out and there was no blow by and it cranked good. He put the plugs back in and it would crank but would not start.

Took it to shore and did the same, yanked the plugs and cranked....just peachy there......put them back in and it fired right up.....still fires right up out of water, he has yet to take it to the lake again.

NOTE, the broken oil line causing it to die originally...

Does this sound like a seizing motor or an electrical problem?

Comment

Steve if a broken oil line made it die then damage is done. Oil does not add to the running quality, it only provides lubercation. That is the only reason the oil is there. it is possable that some thing else made it die, but the chanses of it quiting at the exact moment the oil line failed are very very remote. I would not hold my breath.

Comment

And dammit, my knee still hurts......guess i get to tear 2 apart this week.

What tricks you guys got to pulling the pto off, cause i'm not paying 20 bucks to have it removed......lol

Oh, and tech, how much are you block off kits?

Cause that oil pump is going.......lol

Comment

What I'm gonna guess happened is that you lost the oil and therefore lubrication so the piston was running up and down in the bore with increasing amounts of friction. The piston would have got hotter as a result of the friction and expanded and eventually nipped up. As soon as the motor stopped running the piston started cooling and the siezure is gone but the damage will be done. Question is how much. I reckon you will need to pull the top end at the minimum but this is all based on guesswork so keep the spanners in the box for a while yet [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bryan, what about the promised lack of oil pic for this thread?

Comment

I tend to agree with you Colin..

But, the wierd thing is he ran it for 10 miniutes, alot of WOT and it ran fine.

Don't you think it would have heated up quicker than that if the pistons were mucked up.

Oh well, i'll pop the head and take a peak

Comment

Mellow.

I agree with you 100%....but when his ski died from the broken line, it spitted and sputtered then died. This time it just flat out died....nothing, like you pulled the lanyard.

It spins good with the plugs in and it spins good with the plugs out.

I am just trying to get an idea here before i tear his motor apart.

Forgot to mention.....could fouled plugs cause it to die like that....cause i dumped oil down the cylinders....but like i said it ran great and then just died

I know, it's probably mucked up...but there could be a possiblilty it is electrical.......i just don't want to tear it apart until i'm sure

Comment

Working...
                              X