Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the average water pressure in 720 motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the average water pressure in 720 motor?

Does anyone know the average water pressure in the head area (at the temp sensor)? I want to put a pressure switch "T"ed off the temp switch port and run it to the oil level light since it's not being used anymore.I need to know the psi @ about 3k rpm.I have rigged this setup on all the 4 engined boats I have maintained( try keeping an eye on 4 water pressure gauges at speed) with the biggest, ugliest red light I could find.You will know about the plastic bag that you just picked up on your intake b4 any damage happens.Figured it couldn't hurt on the sea doo,talkin maybe $20.00 max for a switch and T fitting. My first time on your site....I'm really impressed !!

Water pressure will change with the throttle position. As for using the oil guage as a pressure guage it wont work cause the oil gauage isnt calibrated to read pressure. its calibrated to give a level reading. kinda like using your gas gauge in your truck to read off your oil pressure. you can get pressure guages and fit it in where the oil guage used to be. now tun a t fitting to the squirter nozzle on the side of the ski ( if equipped) or to the water intake hose. Now use a ti fitting that has the same inside diameter as the hose youre t eeing into. now run the hose to the guage and you ahve your pressure gauge all set up
    Rob

Comment

the doo's (xp) use an l.e.d. idiot light.What you do is find the operating pressure and install a switch a few psi lower.When we remove the oil injection the light stays on all the time(unless you jumper the pins)the switch is normally open below the rated psi (light on ) and closes at pressure (light out).light will be on at idle and low rpm's but will go out at whatever rpm builds up the pressure needed...... and that is what i am trying to find out. I thought about the gauge thing but hate to have to watch the gauge all the time.

Comment

dammit youre right I was thinking older polaris skis. i looked at my wifes ski and she has the little LED also. Dude i would say install a pressure guage. At least youll see it. Ive had the low oil light come on before and didnt see it. when youre out on the ski having fun youre not really apying atention to the gauges
        install a pressure guage on one of the water outlet hoses, or even on the water intake hols. just make sure you install a t fitting that had the same inside diameter as the hose so you dont create a restriction. the t part of the fitting has to be small so you can hook up your pressure guage to it. You could probably get one that fits in the dash if you have a empty guage location thats covered up by a rubber cap.
        Rob

Comment

Kinda figured it was a brain fart!!
          as i was reading on glen's site there was a discussion on strainers and cracking of the bases and caps, hulls filling up with water and good things such...more reason for installing the light or gauge! I think i'm gonna have to install a gauge temporarily to find the working psi and then do the light,as i really have no space to put it in the cluster and dont want to hole out the deck (near the choke pull).I put a monel staple in the connector (T-50) and it fits snugly in the plugs,and went out wave jumpin when the staple fell out i caught the light right away (shoulda used a dab of rtv) so i think ill be alright with the light as i always seem to scan it by habit anyways.How does the raider do in rough seas?

Comment

Working...
          X