Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling System Pressure Test

Hey ppl @ SBT.

I am pressure testing my seadoo 800 cooling system, and it has a very slow leak. I am trying to find it. About 1psi per 30sec.

My question is, whats the most common cooling system leak? Or is it always something different. And the SD manual says to put loctite 242 under the cylinder head bolts, is this an area that can leak in the cooling system pressure test, ie: why they say to use the loctite?

There really isn't a real common place, but check your head first.

Comment

Yes water can go up alongside of the bolts and leak from under the flat shoulder on the heads of the bolts. Spray soapy water onto them and look for bubbles while under pressure.
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

97 XP.. I have a leak from one of the water fittings that run off the block for the engine drain hose...will this hurt anything other than a little water in the hull, it's not leaking bad. It's just a pain to get to and if i can get by without replacing it that would be cool.

Comment

Thanks guys, will get back to you about where the leak is!! You two, Bill and Bryan are unreal, so helpful. Its nice to know there are people out there that care!!

Thanks Dudes!!

Comment

Steve - you can easily sink your ski or ingest water if that leak gets worse...don't chance it.

Comment

thanks bryan.. will that one section of exhaust come out of there without shifting the motor to the side so i can access that water fitting easier?

Comment

I don't know - never tried.

Comment

thanks anyways bryan...i guess i got all winter to monkey with it.winter sucks, wish i lived in Florida

Comment

Steve,
                    First remove the head pipe, then the two support bolts that hold the midpipe/cone to the cases. You should be able to move the pipe enough to get to the water fitting. Put a clamp on it insead of the tye-wrap. Cut the hose back an inch first to get some new hose onto the fitting. No need to move the motor.
                    Bill O'Neal WCM
                    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Thanks Bill [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

Comment

I finally found out where the leak was, it was 2 places, under the head bolt flanges, when I read the book I thought it said grease on the heads and loctite on the thread, but its meant to be the other way around, and the exhaust manifold gasket was leaking, I didnt use a genuine gasket, and it was leaking thru the gasket from the cooling port to the bolt hole, thru the center of the gasket, the gasket was embeded with thin wire, all i can think was it was getting thru next to a wire, where as seadoo gasket dosent have wire its just solid.

Anyhow the cooling system, crankcase and rotary chamber now all hold 5psi for at least 15min. Yipeeeee, what a pain in the rear end that was. Does everyone else pressure test their engines??? Or just skip that page?

Comment

Working...
                        X