No gas from carb(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No gas from carb(s)

Ok, a little help on a carburator question please. I have a 93 SPX, and the engine starts up just fine if I pour about a teaspoon of gas in each carb and then dies when that gas it burned. However, it won't fire up by itself with gas from the gas line. I pulled the hose and it's clear, and the gas in the tank is good. If I empty the filter, it fills back up pretty quick, so I know the gas from the tank is making it to the MAG carb.

So, if I'm right it's a problem with the gas flow inside the carburator. Is that correct. Is it likely this problem would be corrected with a carb rebuild kit?

Or, can it be a plugged carb-to-carb hose or carb-to-gas tank hose?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

A little update...I pulled the gas return line off the PTO carb, and gas flows thru it while cranking. So, gas goes from the tank to the MAG carb, to the PTO carb and back to the tank...but the gas doesn't make it to the cylinders! What would be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks again.

Comment

The needles and seats in the carbs are stuck shut and the diaphrams may or may not be welded to the diaphram cover plates. They sometimes get that way from sitting around with additives in the gasoline, like alcohol or octane boosters, or it could be just from old age.
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Bill,
        Thanks for the quick reply. So, is that something that can and should be fixed with a carb rebuild kit, or can I just open it up and clean it out?

I'm not too familiar with carburetors. I know what they do, but i don't know the insides of them.

Thanks

Comment

Needles and seats are not part of a carb rebuilding kit. You must buy new N&S's from the dealership parts dept.Cleaning them rarely works too well for very long if at all.
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
          X