Woes of 97 GSX carb problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woes of 97 GSX carb problems

I would check the popoff pressure first to verify that is okay and check the needle and seats are in good condition and not leaking.
    Is the ski modified or does it have stock jetting?
    Does it just die when you open it, or is there a bog? How many turns out are the high and low speed screws?

You may also have an air leak from a bad seal, leaning out the engine on the top end. Pressure testing the block would probably be a good starting point just to be sure, and go from there.

[ July 06, 2002, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: ScreaminXP ]

Comment

I bought a used 97 GSX with a new (40 HR) motor(787), the carbs where painted purple for what is worth. The ski ran great except to get it to wide open you would have to pump the throttle and it would finally get there and stay there, also if it sat for more than 5 minutes shut down it was very hard to start, flooded. I bought the rebuild kits here and soaked the carbs overnite, and could never make it run right because I could not set the popoff pressure, I then took the carbs to a shop where the guy was supposed to be the Mikuni King and he set them up and told me they were ready. I could not make it run well, so I then took it to a shop and told them to fix it. The first time I picked it up it ran horrible, I took it back and they said they backblew the fuel system and I probably had problems in the pickup but after they backblew it ran good. It runs fine except if you nail it, it will die and you have to milk it along to get up, then at full throttle it takes off but will die as if a fuel restriction. I pulled the pickup out of the tank and removed the filter, I also bypassed the fuel valve and went straight to the tank. It has plenty of fuel to the carb now, what else could it be. I have spent $600 at shops and it is worse than ever, I also do not want to burn a piston in the lean condition it is in. Can a Mikuni Carb just be bad, I checked the jets and they are correct. I probably should have bought 2 new Mikunis and started over with the amount of money I have spent to this point. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

How do I pressure up the block? It almost feels like the fuel pump is not working, as it surges like it wants to go then falls flat. If I have a seal leaking on the crank could this cause that kind of problem.
        Flieman

Comment

It involves blocking off all the holes in the case with rubber sheets, and using compressed air witha gauge to pressurize it to 6 psi and hold for 5 min. The tech video in the middle of this race video actually shows it.

Comment

Working...
          X