Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crank and counter balancer alignment?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank and counter balancer alignment?????

I am reinstalling my crank and counter balancer into the case and I aligned a blue line on the crank with the center gear of the cut out (sideways U shaped) on the counter balancer. I looked at the picture in the Seadoo manual and it looks just like what alignment I have.
    CB C>--Crank it kinda looks like this.
    Is this alignment correct??
    What would happen if the alignment was off a gear??? Would it be noticable when running, so that no damage would be done?
    Thanks Chris
    Factory Pipe Spec 2 <br />愛&D Rec Head<br />意ovi 44XR Carburetors<br />FLY Flame Arrestors<br />感rimer Kit/Premix (40/1)<br />愛+D Aquavein Intake <br />Galindo Grips<br />愛+D 85/88 mm Hydro-force Nozzle<br />惹olas XO (16.5/24) Impeller<br />媲each House Sponsons<br />廈ydro-Turf Mats<br />嫂WD Bow Spray Deflector<br />廉armin Etrex GPS (61.5 MPH)

Yes that is correct. If off it vibrates.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Can this vibration be seen or heard when just cranking the engine over or does the engine have to be running???? When running will the vibration be VERY noticable???
      Thanks Chris
      Factory Pipe Spec 2 <br />愛&D Rec Head<br />意ovi 44XR Carburetors<br />FLY Flame Arrestors<br />感rimer Kit/Premix (40/1)<br />愛+D Aquavein Intake <br />Galindo Grips<br />愛+D 85/88 mm Hydro-force Nozzle<br />惹olas XO (16.5/24) Impeller<br />媲each House Sponsons<br />廈ydro-Turf Mats<br />嫂WD Bow Spray Deflector<br />廉armin Etrex GPS (61.5 MPH)

Comment

Has to be running and yes, it'll shake the whole ski and usually bolts loose.

Comment

Last Question, will it vibrate if it is off by one tooth???? Once I start it up, it will be noticable right, how long before it will cause damage??? Not that I will keep running it, just want to make sure. I am pretty sure it is lined up correctly, I am just a worry wort.

Thanks Chris

Comment

Yes, you will notice it off one tooth. How long depends on how far off it is and how long you ride it. If it vibrates, you did it incorrectly. If you aren't sure, why not just open the case and look?

Comment

Here is how I check them, even after aligning the marks on the gear. I do this now because once I got a crank back from a rebuilder that had the mark 180 degrees off.

First, it is called a COUNTERbalancer shaft. That means the porkchops should be the OPPOSITE of the porkchops on the crankshaft. A crankshaft has pins that hold it together. I align the center of the pins of the porkchops with the case half mating surfaces. Then I stand back and look at the crankshaft and counterbalancer and check to see that the counterbalancers (porkchops) are working opposite of each other. If all pins are aligned with the case halfs, and the counterbalancers are working opposite of each other, you cannot get it wrong, no matter where the alignment marks may be.

If you think there is the slightest possibility of having the alignment one tooth off, check it or change it now. Do not assemble the motor and hope you got it right.
              Bill O'Neal WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Unfortunately the motor is all back together and I will be starting it on Saturaday for the first time since the rebuild. I am pretty sure 99% that I installed it correctly, but I am such a worry wort. If for any reason it does vibrate and I did not align it properly, is it possible to open the cases with the cylinders still attached, (of course the MAG housing and flywheel will have to come off) and be able to realign the crank and CB, there seems to be enough play in the pistons to allow the crank to move enough to remove the CB and realign it.
                All this said I am hoping I will be fine but just in case.
                Thanks Again for your time and info.
                Chris

Comment

Yes you can pop the bottom case off and realign it.

Comment

Working...
                  X