Tach not working, cant read resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach not working, cant read resistance

The tach on my 93XP isnt working. The tach interfaces with my battery charging coil, which isnt working either. The service manual says the coil should meter .21-.31 ohms. This is too low for my ohmeter to read. Is there any other way to test this? This will determine if I need a new coil or rectifier/regulator. I don't want to take off my flywheel unless I have to. PLEASE HELP!! :(

The first thing you need to do is get a digital multimeter to get a proper reading. I assume you are trying to use a $10 K-Mart analog tester?

Comment

you have to get a better meter. i am a electrician by trade and i can read milivolts with mine. if you live in orange county in southern california Ill be glad to help you out
      Rob

Comment

Your tach probably isn't working because your charge coil isn't working. You do need a more accurate meter to read the very low resistance of the charge coil. You should also make sure the charge coil isn't grounded by checking one end of the charge coil to the black wire in that same harness. It would not be a bad idea to test the out-put of the charge coil either. With the craft running and a voltmeter, put the meter on a setting that will allow you to read at least 20 volts and connect the meter to the battery as if the battery is fully charged you should read 13.5 - 15 volts. Then you should do an amperage test. Find the wire that runs from the rectifier to the solenoid post and connect your amp meter in series. Start the craft; you should read 2 -6 amps. If both these tests are good, then you charge coil is good. You may have a bad battery or tach. :D

Comment

Working...
        X