Engine alinment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine alinment

Get a manual, wether it be a factory or something like a Clymers. I did my Yamaha without much problems. There was a special tool that was needed. It was a gauge block, 19 mm I think. I made one fron oak, worked very well. Considering I will only use it a few times it will hold up fine. Find out what special tool you will need, reply with a discreption of it, and I'm sure someone can help. I did not have many problems, just tedious and time consuming. A good manual is a must. Hope I shed a little light on the subject.

There is an alignment shaft, but there is an easier way that is just as effective.

This is a copy of a posting on Sea-Doo.net.

96XPSS posted: May 14, 2000 8:09 AM

Replacing (reinstalling) the shims will get you the correct height, but what we are talking about is centering your engine to the driveshaft (side to side).

The alignment tool is not necessary (my local dealer used a prybar, so it's not too accurate anyway).

Pull the pump and put your driveshaft in the back of the engine with the engine loosely bolted in the hull.

Swing your driveshaft side to side, until it binds the same distance from each side of the ride shoe (you will have to slide engine to center it). Bolt your engine down. This should make you perfectly centered.

Comment

I can give you the exact part number on Monday morning - but if your dealer gave you such horrible advice - RUN away from them and find another!

Comment

I went to my dealer to ask him about bringing in my ski after I install my new engine because your install guide says that at this time they have the tool necessary. They said they don,t know what tool you are talking about! Also they said that you just eye ball it. It should LOOK straight. Also I need to pay attention to the shims and re-install them just like they came out. I have my old engine out and so far haven't seen any shims yet. There were none between the cradle and the motor mounts. Could the shims be located between the cradle and the engine? Do you have any tech. data on engine alinment for a 96 Seado GTI? Thanks in advance!!!!

Comment

Brian is correct, run, don't walk to another dealer. The alignment tool (P/N295000089) is pretty pricey. Just find another Doo dealer that at least knows what it is. The engine and pump need to be aligned correctly in both axis.

Comment

Thanks Guys [img]smile.gif[/img] What a great site!!! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
            Unfortunatly, there is only one dealer in the whole Panama City area. Will try Ft. Walton which is a couple of hours each way, but the alignment sounds simple enough for even me. I have downloaded the install guide and purchased a shop manual from the dealer.

Comment

We have a great installer in the Destin area.
              Cakk Mike @ Aquasports 850.654.1219. If he isn't close enough, he can probably recommend someone for you. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
              Ericka Buczkowski
              SBT

Comment

Doo writer,
                Although we use a similar method in the field, when the alignment tool isn't handy, There is no way to get a motor "prefectly" aligned without the alignment tool. I strongly suggest that you have someone do the job correctly using the tool designed for doing this if possible.

It is even more important on the 951's with the couplers.

I routinely find that even the oem orginal alingment is sometimes not even close to being correct.
                Bill O'Neal WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                X