Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is the water regulator valve adjustable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is the water regulator valve adjustable?

I have a 98 GSXL, and I think the water regulator valve might not be working properly. When you remove the cap you see the top bellow with the bolt head, should this be adjustable?, when I turn it there is no change in the valve (in or out). According to the shop manual these valves come pre-adjusted from the factory. Is there anything else that I should look for to insure it is working properly? I'd rather not spend $100 to replace it if it is fine.

That is not how you adjust the valve - all that you do to adjust it is turn the plastic top cap screw - it should click. If you have removed the black cap to expose the regulator top, you have started to unsrew the assembly itself, not adjust it.

To test the regulator, disconnect the two waterlines, and pressure test it with the valve up, and the valve down - looking for changes.

Comment

Bryan,

I assume that you mean the red cap that is within the main cap?? If that is what is adjusted, where should it be (how many clicks) for a 98 GSXL?

If turning the bolt head inside of the cap loosens the assembly, than that screw must be stripped. There was no movement after several (8-10) turns.

Can you explain the pressure test procedure in a little more detail? ie.. how do I test the valve up and down? do you mean to use compressed air, or blow into it?

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Yes, I mean the red cap. The water regulator must be opposite from the RAVE valve settings. I believe the stock settings are 1 click the top on the water regulator and 1 click from the bottom on the RAVES. This does varry model to model and year to year. You can also experiment with the settings yourself - just remember to keep them opposite.

By no movement, do you mean the bolt stopped turning, or the assembly wouldn't come out? I would suggest bolting it back together.

You should be able to blow though it to feel the difference. You test the valve up and down by moving it manually.

Comment

Working...
        X