97 GTX Fuel Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 GTX Fuel Gauge

1997 Sea-Doo GTX - In the middle of last summer, the fuel gauge started reading 0 or 1 bar no matter what the fuel level is. I just removed the fuel baffle, plugged it back in and held it upside down. Still, nothing moves on the Info. Center. Is there any way to test to see if the baffle is bad, or if the problem is somewhere else?

Go through the diagnostic I posted here, and if it reads OK, you have a problem elsewhere. It's usually the sender though. The part number posted is the same for yours.

[ July 02, 2001: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn - SBT Webmaster ]

Comment

OK, just did that. I'm getting variable readings by flipping the baffle upside down and then right-side up. Connections are clean, but I'm going to recheck and re-oil them. What do I look for next?

Comment

Then either your float is not floating anymore, or you have a bad connection betwen the sending harness and the gauges. Unfortuynately, I believe that you cannot repair the flaot, or buy the specifi part - you have to replace the whole baffle assembly. If you are getting any reading at all, I would have to say it's the float, and not a connection issue. You can test each wire between the harness and gauges for connectivity, but I think you will find them all good. What were the readings you received durring testing?

[ March 03, 2001: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn - SBT Webmaster ]

Comment

The fuel gauge worked properly when I held the baffle outside of the tank. Upside-down = full tank; right-side up = empty tank; middle = ½ tank. (Side note: I noticed that fuel gauge always changed slowly. For instance, if I flipped the baffle, I'd see 1 bar (5 seconds pass) 2 bars (5 seconds pass) etc etc etc. Is this normal?) Now, the baffle is back into the tank and it reads empty again, and the tank is full. I just want to make sure it is the baffle before I go spend $80 on a new one. With the tests I've done, would you be fairly certain that it is the baffle?

Comment

Yes, it's the baffle, and I have no idea what the delay would be for the gauge readings outside of the tank. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X