XP woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP woes

I ride a '98 XP Limited, that I bought used, and so far, I have had no trouble with whatsoever. I keep seeing all kinds of posts on various message boards about how much trouble people have had with the 951 motor, and frankly, it's got me a bit worried. Is there anything I need to watch for, as far as early warning signs, or is it something that when you realize something is wrong, it's too late?
    Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

The very best thing you can do, is to take your pipe off, and retreat the pipe to manifold area better than they do at the factory. Other than that, there isn't a whole lot you can do - the best advice is not to let water stand in the hull - install a rule 500 auto bilge pump, duck bill drains on the back, and ALWAYS flip it the right way when it turns over.

[ March 25, 2002, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]

Comment

I figured, since it's not broke, don't fix it, as far as the exhaust water problem goes. (of course that doesn't mean I "figured" right!)
      I hear others talk about water in the hull, but no matter what I do, there never seems to be more than about 1/2" in the bottom of the hull, at most.
      Maybe my boat's an exception??

Comment

You may have a better seal than some, but it's no exception as far as the hull design. Given the right cirumstances, you can just as easily injest water as any other 951 XP owner. Just take it easy - and PLEASE install at least a bilge kit.

Comment

I've got a bilge pump- I was told by my local dealer that it was factory installed on my model. Should I go ahead and do the exhaust re-seal, as per Sea-Doo.net's tech article, or leave it alone, since it's not leaking now.
          I DO do a regular, underhood inspection, nearly everytime before I ride, just to make sure nothing is loose, broken, or otherwise out of place.
          Once again, thanks a lot!!

Comment

Im sorry - I forgot that your ski does have one already. As far as the pipe project - it's your call. If you do it correctly, you will not have to worry about the leak issue, which is a MAJOR problem for at least the 97-2000 951's. If you think yours is ok, and leave it alone, you do risk it being a problem in the future. Do you at least have the retro boot kit and flaps on your flame arrestor intakes?

Comment

To whom it may concern,

The exhaust manifold to headpipe gasket will usually not leak a drop until the boat is in the water and under a high rpm load, when the impellor is creating a high water pressure situation. This is when you are riding with the hood closed and you cannot see the leak.
              Tell tell signs are if you ever notice water beads on the carbs, or water stains on the exhaust manifold. A visual inspection of these areas after riding is important.

If you think you manifold gasket is leaking, it probably is. You can check it by backing your trailer and ski into the water at the ramp and reving the motor to 6000 rpm. When the water pressure builds up, it may start leaking. Open the hood and watch for leaks. This is also true of the water regulator on top of the muffler. It is known to leak under load too. If so, it will reduce your rpm and top speed of your boat.
              Bill O'Neal WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

NEXP5:

Involved process to re-install the header pipe.

If I were you, I'd remove the stock air box and throw it were it belongs (trash heap). Then install Prok are filters and buy water resistant "outerwears" for them (www.outerwearsracing.com)

You will need to re-jet your carbs. Go to www.watercraftmagic.com and talk to Bill there. In Florida you can go to PPG at www.sea-doo.net or you can do it yourself.

The rubber boot is about 5 bucks at a Sea-Doo dealer, but to be perfectly safe, it needs an additional drain tube installed in it's drain hole to direct water (if it leaks) down to the ski's floor.

Comment

I just wanted to say to Bryan, Bill, and Steve- Thanks!!!
                  Now that I know exactly where the water leaks are prone to occur, I can keep a close eye on the potential problem.
                  Once again, Thank-you all.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what the boot kit is. There are rubber flaps around the flame arrestor intake, however.

Comment

No problem. If you download the 951 Installation Guide in our Technical section on the left, you can clearly see the retro boot kit installed around the base of the pipe where it meets the manifold - in the bottom left-hand corner of page 3. If you do not have a 3" wide rubber boot around that joint, you NEED to get one. We sell the kits for $50, or you can see if your local dealer has any in stock.

Comment

Hey NEXP5. Where the heck do you ride around Chapmen? I live in Omaha, orginally from Kearney. I bought a 98 XP new. I'd agree on the gasket. I have had water in my engine once. Have no idea....made some runs across the lake, stopped and talked to my friends, and it wouldn't start. Pulled the plugs and it was full of water. Haven't had any problems since. I decided to go through it, this fall. Back piston was scored a little, and the cylinders were a little scored and a little rusty. Decided to have GroupK bore the cylinders, put in new oversized pistons, and am going with a sleeper kit.
                        Anyway, you may or may not have any problems.. Just take care of it. Listen to what these guys tell you, read newsgroups, and just, get really familiar with your XP. Any problems are well worth it, I wouldn't trade it for anything. This thing is a blast. I was all worried about the reports too, but I've had friend with other brands with problems too....now that I've had 3 summers on it... I can't see my self on any other PWC....

Comment

captaink, I sent you an e-mail, concerning where I ride....................
                          If you didn't get it, get back to me on this post.
                          Can't wait until spring!!!!
                          [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

How waterproof are the outerwares, and how much do they restrict air flow?
                            Isnt this a simple solution to the XP water ingestion problem?

Comment

They aren't waterproof, they are water resistant - and work very well at being so. They only drag down a max of 40 RPMs on a GP1200, a 951 should be about the same or less. Yes, it is a good mod to help with the injestion problem, but it voids the warranty - and most people need to keep it intact. People that mod the boat in the first place ususally take care of the problem at the source and fix the leak!

[ February 27, 2001: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn - SBT Webmaster ]

Comment

Working...
                              X