No announcement yet.

XP woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspected this for quite some time, but it was confirmed by BOB99XPL that the EXHAUST LEAK has much to do with how the header pipe is mounted or the condition of the mounting points.

IMO, the leak seems to be less in XPL/XPs than in the GSXLs and the GTXs. All those above-mentioned units have slightly different mounting points.

I also just found out that Sea-Doo Y2K kit that SBT sells for the leak has two steel sleeves that replace the current sleeves in the pipe support mounts.

So that's something to check out. I suppose much has to do with how much jumping a particular unit is subjected to.

Comment

Bryan,
      Is there an exploded view drawing, or a parts list available for SBT's Y2K kit for Sea-doo's 951?
      I'd like to check it out before the weather gets warm.
      Thanks

Comment

We sell the complete Sea-Doo Y2k kit - it's not something we've repackaged or put together ourselves. It comes with the rubber boot, metal sleeves, all new fastners with threadlocker on them and a new gasket. I am not aware of a line drawing or schematic of the kit, no. But I can certainly take some pics and make a product page for it in the morning.

Comment

Thanks, Bryan,
          I'll check it out tommorrow.

Comment

Good discussion on the XPL woes so far...other things to watch for:

- If you find water in the hull, check to make sure both vacuum tubes are still in the pump nozzle and look at the seal of the hood.

- Watch for the hood glued inside the hood to separate at the hinges as mine did. It eventually separated enough in front of the hinge to allow you to insert your hand between the tub and the hood with the hood latched.

- The plastic pump shell may crack, allowing the bronze insert to separate from the outer plastic shell, and the corners of the pump may shear off the pump where it bolts to the hull.

- Performance and compression may suffer if you've already had water ingestion from the exhaust manifold and you will see reduced rpms (below 6700 always indicated a problem on my XPL). Once it was the exhaust leak and the need for a new top end, and once it was the crank, even though the ski still ran.

- Periodically check the stock bilge pump for correct operation while riding. I've ridden with two XPLs where they were not working, problem on one was electrical and the other one was mechanical.

dc
            dc

Comment

Working...
            X