What might be the problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What might be the problem?

OK here goes. Assume I know nothing, please.

At the end of last summer, the ski was starting fine and it would idle without problem. Ran like a top. Then if you ended up in a place where you needed to be in idle speed, you couldn't just let it do it's thing. You had to keep your hand on the throttle and give it more gas to keep it from sounding like it wanted to cut out. I never let it get to the point of dying (that would be embarassing) but it might have if I had let it.

Anyway, at first start, the idle is fine while the engine is cool, but after running for awhile, it's just not acting right.

I replaced the plugs. No difference. Oh it's a 96gti.

I will not be the one to work on it, but I don't want to be fed a line when I take it in either.

Thanks,
    gti96<br /><a href="http://pwclinks.50megs.com" target="_blank">PWC Links</a>

Try getting Carbs cleaned out two little filters in carbs that do clog up

Comment

The first thing I would do is raise your idle speed. There is an adjustment screw on one of your carbs, that is used to change your idle speed. You need it to be somewhere around 1500 RPM in the water to sustain a smooth idle. This is assuming that you have not adjusted your carb mixture screws, and you are still relatively stock.

To adjust your idle, the first thing to do is find the screw. It will be at the end of the throttle cable, on the carb. If you download the 58/650/720 installation guide in our Technical section, on the bottom of page 2 is a large picture of the carb. In the lower right section, is the throttle cable, and right above that is the idle adjustment screw - it has a T- handle on it for easy turning. Turning it clockwise will increase the idle, counter-clockwise lowers it. Start with 1/4 turns at a time. Bear in mind that in-water idles will be lower than out-of water idles. You may be around 2000-2300 out of the water, and still 1500 in the water.

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I've downloaded the installation guide (what excellent photo quality, too, although that engine sure looks awful dirty!). I've removed the airbox cover and the silencer brace during winterization, but don't remember seeing the T handle on the carbs that shows in the picture (doesn't mean it wasn't there, though!)

Does it matter that this is a dual carb unit? (It is stock BTW). Guess each should be turned 1/4 before testing the RPM?

Comment

The idle adjustment screw is only found on the first carb to be attached to by the throttle cable - usually that means the front carb.

Although we sure could have opted to use a brand new engine for each guide, I wanted to make it as realistic as possible for the do-it-yourselfer, who most likely will be using them on an old, probably dirty engine, as shown.

Comment

This post was from Joe:

"You said last summer, so I'm assuming that you stored this craft over the winter. Did you winterize it? If you left it for a couple months with unstabilized fuel in the carbs you need a carb rebuild. You may want to adjust your throttle and oil pump cable to. See Here."

Comment

It's still winterized. The fuel was stabilized and lube sprayed down both carbs with the brace off (although I didn't know that's what it was called!). It sat unused before winterizing for about three weeks. Just didn't want to give the summer up.

I'm only bringing this all up now in prep for later in the spring. It was acting up late in the summer. Then it was winterized. Still is. But I'm looking forward to the season. I had the jet pump oil replaced at the beginning of last season and it took 3 weeks for them to get to it. So I was sort of worried about what might be the problem combined with getting them to squeeze it in if it were something I couldn't get my brother to handle.

But your link to the other post was very informative. :D

Comment

First of all, let me start out by saying that i'm by no means an expert in the field of pwc repair...i'm not even sure i'd qualify as a novice for that matter [img]smile.gif[/img] but, just in case the increase in idle speed on the carbs doesn't work, i thought i'd throw this out: i have a 94 SPX that had a very similar problem last year. after careful inspection by a trusted pwc mechanic, the problem was found to be an exhaust leak. once the leak was fixed, the problem was gone...not to mention that the engine performance overall increased greatly!! good luck with the repair!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The easiest way to check for an exhaust leak is to hook the ski up to the hose, or idle in the water, and take the seat off. If you have a leak it is immediately noticeable from the smoke and smell inside the hull (there should be none).

Comment

Thanks Mike, something loose, huh. Well my neice and I were really hitting the waves pretty hard. My brother has a speed boat and we get in one of those slews where no ones around and he does these donuts with his boat unplaned and man! the waves end up being so big even the three seater gets submersed!

Thanks, I'll keep that one in mind, too. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

it just goes to show ya what a newbie will accept as "normal" hee hee [img]smile.gif[/img] it never crossed my mind at the time that the smoke coming from under the seat was out of the ordinary [img]tongue.gif[/img] but thanks to message boards like sea-doo.net and now this one, my knowledge is increasing, and my acceptance of "normal" is decreasing!! [img]smile.gif[/img] thanks again for the great site!!!!

mike

Comment

Thanks Bryan, we must have been posting together or you type faster. I take that seat off constantly. Don't know why, but I just do. Haven't had what you're describing in the least. I would've freaked.

Comment

Working...
                        X