1993 Sea Doo GTX (580) Starting Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 Sea Doo GTX (580) Starting Issue

I purchased this late model ski last week and it fired right up several times while (of course) making the decision to purchase it. Before I could give it a test run in the water something appears to have gone awry.

I have reviewed several of the forum articles, but I'm not sure that my situation matches any of the ones listed. I have purchased a new battery and charged it and made sure that it is supplying the proper voltage. When attempting to start it, the engine almost starts to turn over, but doesn't. Sometimes all it does is click, and that makes me think that it is the starter. Also, occasionally I hear a pop and see sparks fly from the starter area.

I don't hear the "whirring" described in other articles, and I was told by a mechanic that the previous owner replaced the starter (with a rebuild) within the last two years. I know this doesn't mean anything. Having just bought a battery that I most likely didn't need, I am trying to avoid replacing every unnecessary item. Any advice or testing procedures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sparks, sounds like the cable may be loose
    or damaged.

Comment

Okay, I think that you may have something, although none of the connections seemed loose.

In little over an hour since I posted my first message I removed the starter. Following some online technical walkthroughs, I connected the positive battery terminal to the main starter post. I then made contact with the front of the starter to the negative post. The starter sparked a little at the point of negative connection, but did spin up from time to time with decent speed.

[ June 16, 2003, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Rob Keberdle ]

Comment

After reviewing many articles today, I will look a lot closer at the connections. However, I did have one additional question...Does my model ski have a solenoid and/or rectifier? I heard mention of these two items in articles for newer models. I want to get to the bottom of this and so if I can examine some additional components that would be good.

Comment

At minimum, you need a new set of brushes for the starter motor, one comes mounted to a commentator plate. About $15 at SD dealerships parts departments.
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

While although it was good experience, I should have read your introduction to starter issues article before removing my starter. Once again, it was another case of loose and corroded connections.

None of them seemed loose when I pulled it out, but once I put everything back together and tightened the connections, it fired right up.

This site and your articles were very informative. Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
            X