Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't remove PTO coupler from flywheel (951)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't remove PTO coupler from flywheel (951)

Received my SBT 951 engine today. I'm trying to finish up the final removal of PTO coupler from flywheel on old engine. I've removed the 6 allen head bolts securing the PTO coupler to the flywheel (directions 5.11 say only 4 allen head bolts). I can't budge the PTO coupler free of the flywheel. Any suggestions? I've used liquid wrench and rubber mallet. I have not tried heat yet, should I?

Some have 4 some have 6. Heat would be fine.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The coupler is secured by the bolts and some green loctite (that is the strongest stuff Loc-Tite makes). To remove the coupler, I use a large flat punch and a hammer, taping on it around the outer diameter. A little heat helps break the Loc-Tite seal, but I rarely ever use heat to remove them.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Re: Can't remove PTO coupler from flywheel (951)

I had similar problem with 717. Went to home depo with the block(2 cylinders) stuck a screw drivers handle (plastic) in the inlet and got the cranck stuck at one point. The coupler is 6" in diameter. Used the rental biggest wrench that can open to hold the couppler (right hand thread) layed the motor flat on the rubber mat and used force..a lot of force without heat or WD40 losened up...Yo9u can try.This left minimum marks on the coupler.

Comment

Re: Can't remove PTO coupler from flywheel (951)

Gary, That's nice, but a 951 flywheel is a taper fit, not screwed on and he is not trying to remove the flywheel in this question. He is attempting to remove the coupler that botls onto the flywheel.
          BTW, They have Home Depots in Belgrade ?
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
          X