Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 XP Spark Trigger

Hello Sbt Forum

My 97 Xp magneto flywheel came loose, and elongated the bolt holes, I have since had them TIG welded up and the magneto now spins true. :D

But I calculate the clearance between the outer 2 spark triggers and the magneto trigger pickup to be about 2.1mm, this seems excessive to me, from the pics I have posted (hopefully Bryan can add them for me), you can see on the magneto flywheel where is has been hitting the pickup, and you can also see that the pickup is a lot shorter than what it is meant to be (I can see a photo of it in my seadoo manual, and its a lot longer). :(

The pickup still tests ok, I was told by the previous owner it was still running like that.

So my questions are, what is the trigger pickup clearance meant to be?

What is the length of the pickup meant to be from the housing? I might be able to get a coil repair shop near me to lengthen it some how.

And can I just file the mounting holes out so I get the correct clearance to save me buying a new one?

On the hlsm/ronnies site it is US$69 which is about US$110 once it arrives here, from previous parts I have ordered from my local dealer, the price is almost double what the internet prices are.

Thanks Dudes [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

[ July 23, 2002, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]

There are plenty of these on the used market. Find one and buy it. If the oem flywheel had problems, surely you are betting alot on this "welded up" version. I'd bet SBT has a few around their used parts department for sale. 96 through 98 782 and 951 are the same, as long as they have two trigger pads on the exterior diameter.

Use grade 8 bolts with red loctite to secure it.

The gap is not too important as long as it still triggers the ignition, but timing could lag a tiny bit. Check it.
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Thanks Bill

I have no doubt the the magneto flywheel will be ok, I've had an engineer TIG weld it and redrill the holes, and have even checked the runout myself, and its fine now.

Besides I am in Australia and parts are very expensive here, theres not much second hand blown up stuff around, and it would cost a fortune to have it sent over, not unless it was extremely cheap, and in the jetski business, that dosent happen.

I was more concerned about the pickup trigger being worn down, and the recomended clearance between it and the lumps on the magneto.

Can you even take a guess? I'm sure 2.1mm is to much. If you have a pickup trigger could you measure the length of the protuberance. Or even measure the gap between the charging stator and the pickup? Then I could calculate what the clearance is meant to be.

Thanks Mate!! :D

Comment

If you have one Bryan what would you charge for the magneto flywheel, just out of curiosity.

Comment

If I had one it would be $100, but we are out.

Try these guys.

[ July 23, 2002, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]

Comment

Is Screamin XP around anymore, maybe you/he could help me out, I remember he had a 97 XP also!!

Comment

Can any one else tell me if my sprark trigger looks normal, ie; the same as yours??

I'm sure there are a lot of people that read these posts, dont just leave all the answers to bryan and bill, if you think you can help out with a suggestion then voice it.

We are all here to help each other!!
              Power to the people!!

Comment

Did you find it John?? If you are reading this, you have come to the right spot!!! :D

Comment

From the photos the trigger "looks" normal.

I sure hope that with the "engineered" flywheel you have that you are intending to check the timing, and, if needed, have a Sea-Doo dealer check/adjust it electronically to the proper setting.
                  John Kubiak
                  Powersports Technical Training Professional
                  Las Vegas, Nevada
                  Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                  PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                  PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                  NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                  Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks John, do you have any idea of the clearance of the protuberance and the pick up. Since mine has been repaired, it is 1.5mm.

The runout on the flywheel is around .02mm, they did a good job on it.

And yes I was gunna check the timing once it gets going, is it a big job to alter the timing for the dealer thru the mpem?

Comment

1.5mm sounds "about right".

No there is no big issue with the MPEM programmer used to adjust the timing.

However, properly marking the PTO flywheel in order to strobe the initial timing is quite an involved task that requires a dial indicator and patience to get right.

[ July 31, 2002, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: John Kubiak ]
                      John Kubiak
                      Powersports Technical Training Professional
                      Las Vegas, Nevada
                      Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                      PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                      PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                      NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                      Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Yeah dont worry about the dial indicator and the patience part. I find that when I spend a FORTUNE on stuff I tend to tripple check every little thing, until people start to get angry at me for being so carefull!!!

Thanks John [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X