951 top-end rebuild question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll verify Monday also.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Will going one over (.5mm) leave enough room RAVE clearance?

Comment

Yes, .5mm is the limit without cutting.

Comment

I was mistaken on the 951 bearings - like the other sea-doo models, the diameter of the crank hole is larger for the caged bearings. If you use OEM rods you need the OEM bearings, sorry.

Comment

No problem, thanks for your follow-up.

Comment

Or you can use #01242 caged bearings from LA Sleeve .......
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Bill, is one better than another in terms of reliability?

Comment

In theory, the full complement (oem) bearings are superior in longevity.

In practice, the caged bearings have more capabalibity to clear water, wich = less wrist pin failures.

In my engines, I run genuine bearings, aftermarket rod kits, and genuine seals.

In big bore engines, I run genuine rotax wrist pins, and bearings, and pistons.

The rest is up to your builder, ................

Comment

Thanks for your input……. a few questions on this project

I pulled the pistons off the rods today. In my shop manual it says the wrist pin bearings are made up of 34 needle rollers, so made sure I collected 34 rollers when I pulled the 1st piston. On the 2nd piston, 35 rollers were removed. Is this commend?

Also, when re-assembling, how are the (wrist pin) needle bearing held in place?

And last, what is the recommended new piston (SBT) / cylinder clearance?

Thanks for any advise - Tom

Comment

I don't recall how many needle rollers there are off the top of my head. Are you sure you didn't lose one off the 1st?

You use grease on the rod and lay the rollers in to reassemble.

Set clearance between 5.5 - 6.5 thou.

Comment

Definitely didn't mix up, 34 out of the mag and 35 out of the pto. I recounted several times. I guess that’s better than being short one.

Thanks - More questions to follow :D

Comment

DO this - take the rod, smear greae or vasaline in it and place the pins in there - I bet you'll find one missing from the 34 side, unless they are differnt bearings for some reason.

Comment

I'm sure I didn't loose any the cases. I was VERY careful when sliding the wrist pin out, and had the case opening covered with rags.

I'll try the grease thing anyway and look for any gaps.

It will be a few days before I can get back to this, so stay tuned......

Thanks for your help - Tom

Comment

Tom, I'm almost sure you are about 3 bearings short.(should be 36 per cylinder) have a bag of bearings from last top end job. will count tommorrow and let you know. hopefully it didn't fall in the case.

Comment

When I pulled my cylinders, there was a 6-hole base gasket. What size comes with the SBT kit, and can it replace the 6-hole gasket? Or do I need to re-measure squish?

Comment

Working...
                                X