Seadoo XPS oil alternative?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seadoo XPS oil alternative?????

A Seadoo parts shop in Australia, told me I can use Torco PWC oil in my seadoo, and he reckons it has the low-ash synthetic deal happening, I found this bit a literature on a web site:

T-2 Injector 2-Cycle Oil Low-Smoke
    For Pre-mix or Injector use. A superior blend of synthetic and mineral base oils with low ash additives featuring both low and high temperature detergency for air-cooled and liquid-cooled engines. Torco Low Smoke Injector 2-Cycle Oil is specifically designed for oil injection systems on two stroke motorcycles and motorscooters. The superior lubricating, cleaning and smoke reducing properties of this formula protects all engine parts from deposit and wear.
    Meets or Exceeds JASO/FC and API/TC Standards.

Does anyone know what Seadoos/Bombardiers oil standard is ie; the jaso or api thingy??

So what do you think??? Is it safe to use??

I dont know what XPS cost in the USA, but here its A$85 or USA$42.

Ok, ok, I did a search and found some other posts about oil.

So I will make my question easier. is there any other oil that is "SAFE" to use, other that XPS?
    YES or NO.
    If the answer is yes, what is/are they??

[ July 30, 2002, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: Michael73 ]

I would bet that one is fine, and I know Maxima and Amsoil also make a low-ash blend safe for Sea-Doo rotary valve engines.

Comment

So just let me bottom line this for myself,

True/False: Any 2 cycle oil that is low ash synthetic is suitable for my Doo?

That is the low ash lubricates the rotary valve and the synthetic part help to keep the rave valves clean longer??

Comment

No that is incorrect. You need to use an oil that meets API-TC or JASO-FC or the european equivalent.

DO NOT USE NMMA TC-W, TC-W2, or TC-W3 oils, as these will not offer the level of lubrication needed for the high piston skirt loads encountered in a Rotax engine. It also with the rotary valve engines, these type oils can cause excessive wear to crankcase and the cover.

The Torco oil is fine, as are most high quality motorcycle 2-cycle injector oils, and/or snowmobile injector oils. They must state API-TC or JASO-FC and be "low ash" to work properly.
        John Kubiak
        Powersports Technical Training Professional
        Las Vegas, Nevada
        Sea-Doo Tech 13736
        PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
        PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
        NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
        Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

just a curious question, whats with the low ash thingy? whats the ash for?

i used to run Maxima on my motorcycles and would like to know more about the sea-doo's need for a low ash oil? why?
          "Lifes Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body... but rather SKID IN SIDEWAYS totally worn out shouting... HOLY SH*T WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Comment

I have heard a couple differnt explanations, but I'll run with the one from Sea-Doo...the rotary valve needs the ash content to maintain proper oil film thickness on the valve.

Comment

Is it ok to use a full synthetic that is tcw-3 like the "Motul" PWC or Outboard oil they have on a 951
              be good,
              if you cant be good,
              be carefull
              if you can't be carefull,
              buy a pram

Comment

I'm not familiar with Motul, but the 951 does not use a rotary valve system so it has no ash requirement.

Comment

UGH after reading this thread, I went out to the garage to see what the oil was. Turns out I have an ashless oil. I added this to about a half full oil from the dealership so it prolly has 1/2 of the correct stuff and 1/2 the ashless. Should I drain it all and fill with the correct kind? Or would it be ok to use up whats in there and then refill with correct oil as needed?
                  Thanks

Comment

A 1/2 tank of ashless isn't going to hurt you, but mixing 1/2 and 1/2 with differnt brands certainly can. If you are switching brands either wit untill the tank is very, very low before refilling, or drain it completely first.

Comment

If i am getting this discussion right, im running premix and i must use oil that states API-TC or JASO-FC and be "low ash". What if doesnt say anything about the ash content....?

Just as long as it is NOT ashless is it fine?
                      "Lifes Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body... but rather SKID IN SIDEWAYS totally worn out shouting... HOLY SH*T WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Comment

If ti says nothing, it's ashless.

Comment

Thanks a lot Bryan, its sometimes hard to find the right oil here in the Philippines. I am a motocrosser and will check the premix oil i use for my bikes... thanks!

Comment

Bryan, Where did you get the ashless explanation from SEA-DOO?
                            I have read that ASH doesn't mean there is ash in the oil. It means that there is detergent, which is burned and results in ASH.
                            No ASH no detergent. Low ASH low detergent.

This oil thing is a confusing. I have three boats.
                            1 rotary valve, 1 reed motor and 1 DI.
                            I would love to find a good quality oil that will work in all 3 beside XPS II at $35 per gallon. [img]/graemlins/angryfire.gif[/img]
                            I intend to live forever - So far, so good.

Comment

Before I got here, it was an explanation given to SBT from a contact with Sea-Doo engineering. I couldn't give you a name. I can;t site any alternative explanations as I have not done nor seen any testing done to prove non-ash formulas (whatever the explnation of ash) as safe for rotary valve engines, and I have seen oil-caused failures every now and then - related to the rotary valve striking the case and/or cover.

Comment

Working...
                              X