Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 GTX di - bent drive shaft

I was planning on buying this ski!
    Where do I start? A friend of mine has a 2001 GTX DI that has been sitting for one year outside under the seadoo cover under a tree. It has not been started the whole time that it sat there. Seats have been on tight all that time also, and the rear plugs have been in. I opened it up to find a ton of trapped moisture and some pretty evident corrosion on top of some of the metal parts. Pulled the electrical plugs out of their sockets and did not see any signs of corrosion there. The fuses look OK.
    Now the reason that it has been sitting. A year ago the son and his friend took it out and while loading it back on the trailer they sucked up the tie down strap and wrapped it around the drive shaft. Since then they lost interest in the ski.
    I took it out yesterday jumped it and it fired right up on the first try on the trailer. Now the giant carpenter ants that have been living in the pump housing were not really happy when they were shot out like little B-B’s, hundreds of them!!!! So I shut it down, put it in the water and jumped it again. Started up again and off I tried to go. The digital dash just kept on blinking black and saying maint.. I was shaking pretty bad and running real bad. Like it was mis-firing or skipping. I shut it down and put it back on the trailer. Brought it home and removed the plastic housing over the shaft connection where you grease it. Fired it up and saw it wobbling in the area of the carbon ring. I crawled under the ski and found a broken intake grate. Looked like the hook on the end of the tie down strap must have grabbed it when it was being wrapped around the shaft and pulled it in about a half inch. So, now I know it is definitely a bent shaft. Is it usually just the shaft that needs replacing? Or are there other parts that get damaged when this happens? What parts usually have to be replaced in a situation like this? What kind of cash would it cost to have a repair shop do the job?
    Could the year of being totally sealed up with moisture inside screw up the electronics inside? I am considering purchasing this ski for the right price. But if there could be unforeseen problems with the electronics down the road maybe it should be passed over! Ideas, suggestions, donations would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thanks, TJ in Fort Myers
    Life is one long weekend, so just DOO it!

I would personally pass. There are FAR too many skis in MUCH better condition, unless he's practically giving it away, to pick this up.

You are looking at SEVERAL hundred dollors to replace the grate, shaft, seals, etc. - plus labor if you can't do it. Then there is the unseen/undiscovered damage which it certainly has, from that gross lack of maintenance.

Comment

hey i don't even know the guy [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: 2001 GTX di - bent drive shaft

MY SEA DOO WAS ALSO VIBRATING I FOUND MY LOST TI DOWN INSIDE. DO YOU HOW MUCH THE DRIVE SHAFT SHOULD VIBRATE OUT OF WATER.
        Originally posted by TJS
        I was planning on buying this ski!
        Where do I start? A friend of mine has a 2001 GTX DI that has been sitting for one year outside under the seadoo cover under a tree. It has not been started the whole time that it sat there. Seats have been on tight all that time also, and the rear plugs have been in. I opened it up to find a ton of trapped moisture and some pretty evident corrosion on top of some of the metal parts. Pulled the electrical plugs out of their sockets and did not see any signs of corrosion there. The fuses look OK.
        Now the reason that it has been sitting. A year ago the son and his friend took it out and while loading it back on the trailer they sucked up the tie down strap and wrapped it around the drive shaft. Since then they lost interest in the ski.
        I took it out yesterday jumped it and it fired right up on the first try on the trailer. Now the giant carpenter ants that have been living in the pump housing were not really happy when they were shot out like little B-B’s, hundreds of them!!!! So I shut it down, put it in the water and jumped it again. Started up again and off I tried to go. The digital dash just kept on blinking black and saying maint.. I was shaking pretty bad and running real bad. Like it was mis-firing or skipping. I shut it down and put it back on the trailer. Brought it home and removed the plastic housing over the shaft connection where you grease it. Fired it up and saw it wobbling in the area of the carbon ring. I crawled under the ski and found a broken intake grate. Looked like the hook on the end of the tie down strap must have grabbed it when it was being wrapped around the shaft and pulled it in about a half inch. So, now I know it is definitely a bent shaft. Is it usually just the shaft that needs replacing? Or are there other parts that get damaged when this happens? What parts usually have to be replaced in a situation like this? What kind of cash would it cost to have a repair shop do the job?
        Could the year of being totally sealed up with moisture inside screw up the electronics inside? I am considering purchasing this ski for the right price. But if there could be unforeseen problems with the electronics down the road maybe it should be passed over! Ideas, suggestions, donations would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thanks, TJ in Fort Myers

Comment

Re: 2001 GTX di - bent drive shaft

Should The Drive Shaft Have Any Vibration Out Of The Water...should It Turn Real Smooth..

Comment

Working...
          X