98 GTX Lim PTO flywheel removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 GTX Lim PTO flywheel removal?

My engine is out and taken apart, the SBT manual says to remove the PTO flywheel with a universal puller. Well, I've tried with a universal puller and I've managed to break numerous bolts trying to get this off. It hasn't even budged. I've manged to secure the crank and then use a cheater bar and I get plenty of leverage but the puller bolts just start bending and breaking without any movement from the PTO flywheel?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated??? Thanks.

I just did the same thing on my Polaris motor. The universal puller isn't going to work. I took my motor to a local dealer & he pulled it for 5 bucks. You need a puller that bolts up tight against the flywheel & it costs $100.

Comment

We remove these all the time. Romove the coupler and the bolt&washer in the end of the crankshaft.I use an OEM puller that is round and has the same bolt pattern as the coupler to attach it to the PTO. In the center is a fine thread 18mm bolt that pushes directly against the end of the crankshaft. Using a 1/2 in. impact gun, they pop right off.

If you do not have an impact gun, put pressure onto the puller by tightening it as tight as you can get it without pulling the puller bolts out. Then take a heavy hammer and whack the center puller bolt solidly. The pto will pop off usually with one whack.

The PTO flywheel is a taper fit, no keyway. Do not try to " unscrew it " from the crankshaft, like on a 787 or 720.
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Scott - he's not talking about the front flywheel - he's talking about the coupler, which on Sea-Doo 951's needs to be pulled off.

Comment

Working...
        X