PTO Flywheel removal 97 XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTO Flywheel removal 97 XP

Well, I havnt even tried to remove the PTO flywheel yet, I noticed that it doesnt look like any of the pictures in the install guide, or repair manual. From what I read the XP just happens to have a different set up. Is the removal the same? Can I just use a large pipe wrench to remove it? Thanks

Yes, it screws off. Yes you can use a pipe wrench.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I hate it when I see where someone has used a pipe wrench on a pto. It always scars the pto badly.
      The 1997 XP has a coupler with ears on it, like most other models of jetskis. They make a special coupler tool to remove the pto. But, if you do not have one, you can use a big screwdriver ( real big ) or a small diameter pipe or a breaker bar to remove it. The trick is to pre-heat the pto with a torch to break the loc-tite sealant.
      Be careful not to break an ear off, as they are fragile. Do not attempt this without heat.

The best way is to buy the proper tool.
      Bill O'Neal WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Alright, so One person says pipe wrench, another says screw driver\breaker. Which is safest? I think ide rather scar the flywheel then break an ear off....right? Heat is gonna be a must. Which method has the smalles possibility of me screwin somethin up?

Comment

I use breakers also, have done dozens and only broken one.

Comment

Alright, i could not get that flywheel off! I heated it, and then used pipe wrench to turn it, and i was turning the part with the ears on it, but it never came off, just kept turning...the larger part of the flywheel was NOT turning with it...didnt seem right. I cant even fathom how you guys fit a pipe between the ears, maybe a small screw driver, but thats besides the point. Which part is actually threaded onto the crankshaft? The outer ring? or the part with the ears? Really frustrated, and gotta send this thing out by monday!

Comment

The part with the ears...."is the PTO and that whole thing is threaded to the crank".

Turn it counter clockwise....but i suggest watching the heat or your gonna destroy your rear crank seal, then you have bigger issues.

Just a suggestion, for 20.00 a dealer can pop it off in 10 miniutes, up to you.

Comment

I understand that the PTO is the part with the ears. The EARS part is attached to a PLATE, it seems more like the plate part of the PTO is what is threaded to the crank. IT wont spin, but the EARS part spins all day long, and doesnt appear to go anywher, and no the crankshaft isnt spinning.

Comment

Sorry man......you have the wrong year and model then..........what plate? 97 XP, which i have and own has no so called plate. A 97 XP has the 5 ear PTO flywheel that just twists on the crank. What plate are you referring to........look at my pic, is that the ski you have?

It has a rubber/plastic coupler that fits in also.....between the pto and driveshaft.

Comment

yes, 97 Sea DOO XP, but now In looking at a parts book, my Flywheel looks slightly different...In the book picture, the EARS part, is attached to a TAPERED plate...on my ski the ears section is attached to a flat plate. If that makes sense....

Comment

Can you send me a pic?

Comment

Email with picture attached sent.

Comment

I got your pic. Don't bother trying to remove it by the fingers anymore, you need a new PTO. You will need a strap or chain wrench around the large part to unscrew it from the crank.

Comment

How come I need a new one? Because the two parts were moving independantly which they shouldnt? Thats the correct flywheel right, thats the only one for 97 XP? I plan on just getting a used one Havasu or something. Unless an upgrade will be really beneficial and not much cheaper. Can I send it to you guys with the flywheel still attached, I dont have access to a Chain wrench.

Comment

Yes, because it's broken and spinning. Yes that's the only flywheel for it. Yes you can leave it on, just put a note in with it so they know to chuck it.

Comment

Working...
                              X