'96 GTX cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '96 GTX cutting out

I have run about 35 gallons of gas through a freshly rebuilt engine on my 1996 GTX 800. The engine runs great! Recently, the engine started dieing. It is as if you pulled the key. The LCD panel goes blank and you get nothing. I left it on the trailer over night, tried starting it in the morning and she fired right up. Waited about 5 minutes and put in the key and didn't get anything on the LCD. The only other symptom I have had was a "12V low" indication on the LCD screen when starting. Even with the 12V low, it spins the engine just fine.

I plan on checking all connections tonight. Is this a known problem with this model? Any ideas that might get me to the solution quickly?

Thanks for the help!

Could simply be a loose or corroded wire. Check the battery terminals and the ground wire from the battery to the engine. The connection may not have been put in real tight and could have worked loose.

It may also be the DESS post going out (the post is the part on which you place the key). I had to replace the one on my neighbor's '97GSX. It's about a $40 or so part and relatively simple to replace.

-Scope

Comment

Thanks Scope,
      I will check out the wiring, grounds and terminal connectors. I have the manual so I will use it to test the DESS as well.

Thanks!!

Comment

Did the DESS fix your problem? I have a 1997 GTX with just about the same problem. Run a little bit then the gauges go dead. Take the key of an on a coule times and then it starts again.

[ September 17, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: jeepseadoo007 ]

Comment

Working...
        X