Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "low battery" indicator

98 GTX
    Bought ski in january and it has sat all winter and possibly all last season for all i know. Charged battery for a couple of hours. Starts fine but the screen still says low battery. Connections are good. Battery shot?? Also, what is the deal with "do not boost battery while in machine"? Can i put a charger on it while its connected or should i pull off a terminal first?

It sounds like your battery may not be holding the charge very well. It would be wise to invest in a new battery so you don't get stranded out on the water. You should never boost the battery in the ski, I have seen people do it but what can happen is you can burn out your electronics and then you are out quite a bit of money. Also, remove the battery and charge it. Do not charge it while it is hooked up.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Have a GSX Ltd 97.5 and the low battery sign is always blinking eventhoug it has a new battery and never gives a problem at starting, so I donth know is there is a problem with the warning circuit, and after a while you dont get bother anymore.
      So unless you have a problem at starting dont bother with that and dont fool with the electrical part, there are sensible and difficult to repair.

Comment

Same here... my 97 GSX, my buddies 96 GSX, and a slightly newer GTX all do that. Never had any problems, just an over sensitive warning light more or less I guess.

Batteries give off hydrogen (explosive!) when charged. Explosive gasses and enclosed spaces with sparks don't mix well. Sealed batteries shouldn't have this problem though... but then you should wory about gas & other stuff in the bilge.

All that being said I've jumped a ski or 2 with another ski while in the water.
        Devin Noel
        '03 Sea-Doo XPdi
        '98 Sea-Doo GSX
        Kwajalein, Marshall Islands (2,000+ miles from anywhere)
        devin.noel@gmail.com

Comment

Jumping a batt in the ski is fine - even with a car battery (or any 12V battery foir that matter - as long as the car isn't running). You don't want to 'boost' a battery in the ski meaning connected to the MPEM because anything over 14v can easily fry it ($400+). The non-sealed batteries should ALWAYS be hooked up to the ski's battery vent line, venting the hydrogen outside the hull.

As for the low indicators, yes they are very sensative. However, with a good battery, fully charged, and good electrical connections throughout the ski, they will not sound off. If your battery is new, did you charge it before use? If you did -= check all your connections - I don't mean just tighten the bolts either. Take everything apart and SAND off the connectors - get off ALL corrosion. Any bad connections rob voltage and will set off the warning.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
          X