96 Gsx ??'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Gsx ??'s

My 96 Gsx is kinda hard to start, Sometimes it will start right up other times I have to give it a little throttle to get it to start is this normal? If not what could cause this, I just got it last fall it when I got it, and it only has 29 hrs on it.

The carbs may need a little fine tuning is all.

Is it hard to start warm, cold, or both? There is nothing worng with using a little throttle to start it either. But if you have to crank, and crank, and crank before it fires, then you need a little adjustment.

Comment

Just hard to start when it is cold.

Comment

Try turning your low-speed adjustment screws out 1/8th turn and see if it improves.

[ June 17, 2001: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn - SBT Webmaster ]

Comment

Ok, I finally got the thing started, first time this year and it took me a while, I think I flooded it because as soon as put the choke in it reved right up. I assume it is normal for it to smoke a lot the first time running because it has to burn all the fogging oil out, but is it normal for it to only idle at 2500 rpm's, it was at 3500 last fall. Is that just the old gas or is it bogging because the fogging oil hasn't burned out yet. I looked at the old plugs and they were black not tan, but but it might be from the fogging? I'll check it again after I take it out the first time and run it for more than a few mins.

Comment

Yes the heavy smoke is normal, so long as it doesn't happen every time you cold start it.

As for the low rev, you can't really judge anything until you get the next tank in ti with fresh plugs. You won't be able to fine tune the carbs yet either.

Comment

Thanks Brian your a big help. Thats what I figured on the tuning of the carbs.

Comment

Working...
              X