951 Engine knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 951 Engine knock

I have been hearing an intermittent knocking noise comming from the engine. I had a compression test done and the results indicated 144 psi. It starts easy, runs well at low and high rpm and is not suffering from any power loss. Mixed input indicate piston or rod issues. Any suggestions? I am mechanically orientated, but have never worked on a PWC engine. With the right tools and manual, is this something I could open up and check or does it need a dealer mechanic?

How many hours, any mods, did it start suddenly and under what conditions do you hear it?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

AT idle speed it is most distinct. there is 53 hours on the clock, no modifications that I know of and it appears that it has been flipped before, and opened up. It is a 01 RX, which I have only used about 3hours.

Comment

Well if it's definitely knocking from the block, I would pull it now for inspection or you could be looking at over a grand extra later if your rod goes through your case or other parts.

Comment

Piston Slap? Don't wait till goes all the way out or TS is right and it will cost much more.
          Get one of those stethoscopes with the rod on the end and try to pinpoint where it's oming from.
          I intend to live forever - So far, so good.

Comment

The rest of my original posting, can this be done by a novice like myself. Could I visually pick up a problem with the rods or piston if there was one, or should I just take it to a dealer

Comment

I would take it in to be safe, if you are very new. At least get a service
              manual if you want to try.

Comment

Find someone in your area who knows about seadoo enagines and can look at it for you. It may save you time waiting at the local dealer. I think the 3 dealers here are telling people like 4 or 5 weeks before they will even look at something.

Comment

Working...
                X