1999 GSXL Pump Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 GSXL Pump Questions

I recently bought a used 99 GSXL. Boat and engine are in great condition. However, after riding this past weekend, I noticed that the rod that controls the trim broke. No problem, I'll just replace it. Oh wait, one bolt from the pump is missing, and one is halfway out. This can't be good.

The guy who I bought it from told me that he had changed the wear-ring before, apparently he either didn't torque the bolts, or didn't use lock-tite. Either way, I decided to tear the whole pump area down since I can see daylight through the ride plate on the sides, and I don't know when the last time he's had the pump oil changed.

First off, clear water comes out when I pull the cone off. I think it just must have been in the outer part of the cone though because the oil is black, not creamy (as I hear it gets when water is mixed). The wear-ring looks like crap. There are holes (yes holes) that appear to be through the entire ring, but not the outer pump. The rest of it is just shredded. The prop itself looks like it's taken a beating, but it's been filed down pretty good. I'll probably send it to Impros to see if it can be saved.

My questions: What is the proper procedure for putting the ride plate back on? Should it be siliconed around all edges? Also, there is grass and crap stuck between the intake area of the hull and the inner pump (I call it this because the prop and everything else came off... this part is still on the boat, has 4 bolts from the inside to get it off, and all the hoses attach to it). Should that be siliconed as well?

As you can gather, I'm not that familiar with this area of my Doos... Surprisingly though, I've changed out an engine before (with an SBT, and still running strong :D ) with hardly any trouble. Thanks in advance for all answers, and if you need clarification, I can hopefully provide some.

It's important to silicone any area that will be in the direct water flow either into the pump, through the pump or under the hull. Anywhere that water will not flow smoothly, or air can leak in, will create ventilation. Seal everything with 100% silicone.

Comment

Thanks Bryan -
      Do you have any tricks for getting the old wear ring off? And what # loctite should I use when putting the new one back on, and on the bolts?

Thanks again...

Comment

Between our Technical and FAQ section, we cover just about everything PWC related...here is the Wear ring article: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/techwearring.htm

Comment

Working...
        X