951 Water injestion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 951 Water injestion question

Is the water injestion problems on the 97-99 951 (GSXL for example) only a issue if you are getting water in the engine compartment? or does it have somthing to do with the way the water is routed internally. I have the diaper on my motor, and the rubber flaps over my carbs. But i was reading somthing about chaging the exhaust gasket and all kinds of other stuff also. But I never get so much as a drip of water in my engine compartment .. so if that is the only way this problem occurs I will not worry any more about it.

Thanks,
    Robert
    99 GSXL Mostly Stock

Yes it's only external.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

There are 2 supports on the exhaust pipe, one at the front of the motor and one over the right hand side - check them regularly. If they come out it puts loads of strain on the pipe to manifold join and can make it leak.

Comment

Its good to know that the water ingestion from the bad pipe/manifold seal is only an external problem. I replaced my 951 w/sbt 951 and have not water leak problems at all(visible). But then i started wondering if water could leak inside the pipe, through the exhaust manifold, and into the cylinders, but its good to know that this was only an intake related issue(external). Bill's rebuilding my carbs right now with proks and outerwears, i think that will take care of me if I ever have a problem with a water leak, at least until i notice it.
        98 GTX Ltd, 95 XP, 99 Mastercraft

Comment

I've also read a lot of talk recently about water ingestion from leaking head gaskets on this engine. I think it was related to this being the only motor that seadoo do not recommend retorquing the head. Do a search on this forum, I think I read some on here, also possibly on SDN.

Comment

Sea Doo does not want you to retorque the head? The clymer manual I have recomends it, and I have been doing it with no problems as long as I have had the ski.

??

Robert
            99 GSXL Mostly Stock

Comment

Wives' tales. Retorque it if you wish.
              Bill O'Neal WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
              X