No announcement yet.

RAVES AGAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call in for rebuild kits again. Use a sheet of glass and a feeler gauge to check for warp. If it looks like the cylinder surface is bad we will need to swap the engine.

[ June 25, 2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

thanks tech support.

I will check the surface for warps before i call back in, just in case it is warped and has to be recut.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks Again

Comment

Lay a small metal machinists ruler on the surface and look for alot of daylight showing from under it.

Are you sure this thing isn't just running too rich and blowing black oil out of the rave valve diaphram?

Did you ever change those needles and seats?
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Update........can't find any warped spots.

When i pulled the rave assembly apart the bellow wasn't even seated right, it was all twisted on the exhaust piston.....BUT, i know it was seated right when i installed it, i double checked before i put the cap on. Also, the gasket itself is leaking again to. I put the bellow back to the way it should be and it seems to have stopped it from blowing oil all over my motor, but the base gasket is stil leaking.

Note.....i put a new exhaust piston on and it differs somewhat from the original that was on it..it's the same fit but different in design....it seems to fit a little loose...to me anyways, so that could be that problem.

But, why does my gasket keep leaking? I feel i don't need needles and seats since i am slowly but surly tuning the bogg out.

Like i said, i have zero problems with the pto rave, just the mag.

Who knows...back to the tuning board i guess..

BTW...i have adjusted the lows from 1 1/4 to 1 1/5 out.........that wouldn't cause it to be that rich

Comment

i gotta see a picture!

please take one and paste it!!!!

something is amiss here.....

Comment

think i found the problem....my buddy just hooked a tach to it and it was screaming 4000 rpms out of the water hooked to the hose.....ya think? or no?

What i don't get is i adjusted it in the water and it was running 4-5 in the water at idle.......something ain't working.

What do ya think.....4000 rpms enough to make the gaskets leak

Comment

No, RPMS have nothing to do with it, but you are just a touch high, should be 3000.

Try small zip ties rather than the springs, maybe it's just not sealing.
                SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

no poloroid or no digital cam......wish i could post a pic.......

how about i lay the gasket in the scanner and do that...LOL :D

Comment

BTW tech support, thanks.

I will do the zip tie thing, i did it on the pto rave cause the spring got stretched.

I am just at a loss as to why the gasket keeps leaking.

Thanks

Comment

The gasket is not leaking. There is a hole in the bottom of the rave pod for all of that unburnt fuel that gets trapped in the rave diaphram, causing it to pop off of it's seat when it fills with gasoline, because you refuse to listen to me when I tell you that a leaky needle and seat and overly rich condition in that clyinder will cause this kind of problem.

Sometimes I think I'm just talking to myself here........ I have probably repaired hundreds of these things. Why won't you just listen to me and fix the problem ? You could do it in less time than you spend on the internet asking questions about it.
                      Bill O'Neal WCM
                      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Bill, for your information....it is not the needles and seats...i have had the carbs gone through and they say nothing is wrong...i'm not going to spend money on something i have been told like 3 times is fine.......

And yes the gasket is leaking..

So....i won't bother you guys anymore and just live with it

Comment

Just curious.......

If i have leaky needles and seats and an overly rich condition, why do my plugs always check out right when i do plug checks?

Don't ya think they would be soaked? Well, there not.

Guess i'll just call in for new rebuild kits and try it again......or sink the **** thing

Thanks for the help

Comment

Uhh, come on guys, Chill! My 96XP raves keep screwing up too, they blow gunk, out the caps. I clean them, reinstall and 1/2 hour later, same thing. So, this time, I'm replacing everything. Never thought about a too rich setting. But as for blowing out the gaskets, never heard of that and don't see how that could happen. Must have been torn beforehand.

Comment

I am not saying it is blown.it was ripped...and yes i could have torn it installing it.

But 3 in a row? Then only one that wa ripped was this last one, but all 3 have leaked.

My carbs have been gone through by an independant dealer, a sea doo dealer and my buddy who knows alot about these things.......

Notta...they can't find nothing wrong....muffler is not blocked either.

Maybe i'm missing something, maybe the cylinder surface is warped and i am just not catching it..who knows.

All i know is i don't need the attitude, because i have been listening to you bill and 3 diiferent places tell me they are fine....so why the heck would i spend money on something that i am told is fine?

So.......i'll take it to a dealer and have them verify the cylinder surface, and if thats mucked up i will call sbt and swap it.......

Anyways, my point is..i don't need the attitude and i will not be returning to this forum, so tech support, just delete my user name

Thank you for all the help this past year

Comment

Steve,
                                When a clyinder runs too rich it creates unburnt fuel and oil to accumulate in the rave valve diaphrams. Once there, the exhaust gases pushes the black gunk out from around the bottom and/or the top of the diaphrams. The tell-tell signs are that you see a stream of black liquid running down the clyinder coming from what appears to be the base of the rave pods.
                                In all the years that I have worked on 787, 951 and snomobile rave valve engines, I have never seen a rave pod base gasket blow out. There is absolutley zero pressure on that gasket. You say that more than one of yours has blown out. OK. Maybe so, but I do not know how or why it would happen.

You have written many requests for answers here because you carbs are not functioning properly, and your ski bogs. We have patiently tried to help you. It seems like nothing we advise is the solution to your problem. We have been through the adjuster settings and the accellerator pumps, rave cap adjusters and water regulator functions, You clipped the wires back and you say all is fine. You say the carbs checked out fine.

I am 2500 miles away, and I do not have the luxury of seeing your motor or riding your boat. I can only go by what you tell us.

If everything else has checked out, then it is my guess that the needle valves are leaking when the engine is running and viberating. You see, I can check pop off pressures all day till I'm blue in the face, but the needle valves can still leak, even if my pop off test is ok.

Your boat is a 1998 model. If the N&S have not been changed, they are 5 or 6 years old. When they get to be that age, it is not uncommon to find out they leak when the engine is running.

When you pay for a carb rebuild, or buy a rebuild kit for a carbureator, Needles and seats are not part of the kits, and some shops do not install them when rebuilding the carbs, they only install the kits as delivered. Some shops don't even check the pop off pressures.

I have given you the best of my ability to help you sort out your carb problems, which I also believe to be your rave problem too. You can choose to ignore it, or you can use it. The rest is up to you.

If I am wrong about this, I'm sorry to have wasted your time.
                                Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

Working...
                                X