No announcement yet.

RAVES AGAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill, all i am saying is that i have had 3 seperate people..all qualified, test and check the carbs, and they all say they are fine....And i have you saying the needles and seats.....so i don't know who to believe. I'm very certain you can be right, but i don't know you from tom, **** , or harry.

I am certain you know a whole hell of alot more about these things than i do....it's just that i am getting different possiblities from everyone i talk to, and i don't know what to go with.

You have certainly not wasted my time, you have been a tremendous amount of help through this....i just did not appreciate the attitude i got.

BTW...my bogg is gone...but continues to leak from the rave.......maybe it isn't the gasket.....but evertime i pull it off it is wet on those 2 strips between the valve shaft?

I'll just take it to a dealer and have them figure it out....give them the headache :D

Comment

BTW Bill...thanks for all the help [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

Comment

steve,

you may ewll have just shot yourself in the foot!

don't anger the old obi-wan of seadoo....

the clearance between your rave pods and the rave shaft, if it is great, will make them leak...

as long as they don't blast a bellows out you're good to go...

but by all means, take it to the dealer, we like that!!

greg

Comment

Ok guys, for the last time....it is not coming out the bellows....other than this one..but i believe that to be because of a stretched spring.

All 3 have been leaking from the gasket itself....only this time the bellow got twisted..but like i said, streteched spring, so i'll zip tie it like tech support said.....

And i may have shot myself in the foot, but i'm entitled to my opinion....and if i get no replys to my questions anymore...so be it

Dealer time, no more questions from me on this matter

Comment

it's okay to be a bit fussy and defensive, you've got an issue that is driving you nuts ( much like me today and the lower carb bolt on the xl1200l that stripped...ouch)

by all means ,take it to a dealer, just be certain to report back what happened.....

greg

Comment

I have replaced dozens, maybe hundreds of gaskets under rave valve pods. Every single one of them was wet in the center of the gasket. If you look at the bottom of the pod, it is not hard to figure out why.

If you have a rich condition in a clyinder, the rave valves will leak black looking liquid onto the clyinders. It will also leak if the diaphrams are not on correctly, if they are wornout, or stretched or swollen up, or the orings are hard and if the pods or the rave valve shafts are wornout .

So, if your diaphrams are in good shape, the pod is secured to the clyinder, the gaskets are in good shape, the rave valve shafts and pods are in good shape, and everything appears to be correct in the rave valves, What's left?

A overly rich clyinder.......
              An overly rich clyinder can be because of a bad sparkplug wire connection ( intermittent spark), low compression in the clyinder ( not efficently burning the fuel) or a leaky needle valve in the carbureator.

I rest my case. Good luck.

[ June 27, 2003, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Bill O'Neal ]
              Bill O'Neal WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Bill, i agree with you 100%.

I guess all i am saying is i must be missing something and thats why i am going to take it to a dealer and have them go through it.

I am not qualified to diagnose the problem.

I did a compression test, but with a cheap gauge, so who knows if it was even accururate.

And i do appreciate all the help you have been giving me, you have walked me through this whole dilemma when in fact you didn't have to waste your time.

I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Thanks again Bill, you are the man!!!! [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey bill or anyone, i'm sure i'm the last person you want to hear from but i have one last ? before i ship it to the dealer.

I was out tinkering with the lows and the idle while on the garden hose...

I turned my idle down since it was at 400 rpms, and then i started messing with the lows.

I turned the mag low in and started to raise my idle the more i turned it in.

I turned the pto low in and it affected it in no way at all.

Does this indicate leaky needles and seats on the mag carb?

Sorry, i am just nt good at this i guess

Thanks

Comment

Yes it can.
                    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Then i believe that may be it then....and i apologize for giving everyone a hard time, this has just been very frustrating from the day i bought this thing las year.

I will replace the needles and seats and go from there...

Thanks Bill and tech support, you have helped a novice in this field a great deal and it is much appreciated. [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

And sorry for blowing up, it was just that i was getting different theories from a whole bunch of people as to waht could be wrong......and bill was right....you the man [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

Thanks again sbt and Bill

Comment

Me again....i know, this is like a soap opera.....LOL

Anyways, i have no idea if this is related to the carbs, but was tinkering some more with it on the garden hose and it really started to take off on me..probably reved to 6 or 7000 rpms.....ran and shut the hose off and went to pull the lanyard and the friggen motor woudln't turn off.

I had to press the throttle lever all the way down to flood it out so the motor would die.

Any ideas?

I know, i'm a pain in the rear.....lol

Comment

You leaned out your mixture too much and you were 'glow pluggin' as I call it. The engine was firing or dieseling without spark. The only way to kill it is too pull the choke, or grab a handfull of throttle. If you turn your idle up too high, or lean out too much you will have that happen when the engine is out of water and not under load. Pretty common.

Comment

Ok guys....i believe i have actually found the problem this time.

I pulled the low speed adjuster out on the mag side to inspect it and noticed a tiny ...i mean tiny dimple in it......so this must be where it's leaking, ya think?

And this is going to sound retarted, but can i round that off with a piece of sandpaper or something....or will it just leak more....LOL

Just curious, cause my dealer is closed until Monday and want to hit the lake tommorro for the 4th fireworks and party on the island.have had this planned for weeks

Thanks guys

Comment

The adjuster needle needs to be replaced, but that is not your leak. It will only effect the way it idles when it is wornout. Any imperfection in a needle valve means it needs to be replaced. The groove is from overtightening it with a screwdriver, which should never be done. Always seat an adjuster needle very lightly so you will not damage it.

Think about that. The adjuster is always open about 1.25-2.0 turns out from closed. So how could it be the cause of a leak?

Your leaking is the needles and seats, called a "needle valve" in Mikuni language.
                              Bill O'Neal WCM
                              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Thanks Bill...

I'll live with it for this weekend and then tear the carbs off and replace every single needle valve and adjuster screw on these things.

BTW, it wasn't me who overtightened it.must of been that way when i bought the ski last year

Thanks again [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X