RAVES AGAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAVES AGAIN

Ok, i just rebuild my mag rave again and boom it blew the base gasket again......this is the second one i have done in a month, not to mention the one that was on the motor when i got it from sbt..

Whats going on here, whats causing this thing to keep blowing?

The base gasket is under the clyinder. What gasket did you blow?
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

The gasket that sits under the rave valve cage.....where the cage bolts to the engine

Comment

Are you saying you actually blew that gasket out? Or is there oil leaking from the hole in the bottom of the rave pod?
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Well, the one i replaced last week i took off yesterday and YES, there was actually a rip in it..it seems to be blowing in the same spot everytime.

I have not taken this one off yet.

Could i be over tourquing these things...i torqued to about 10-12 lb pounds, or is there something else going on?

[ June 24, 2003, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

seems like you'd have to have insane exhaust backpressure to blow that gasket out.

all the sealing surfaces are smooth? valve seats okay?

it would seem to me that the bellows would pop WAY before you could generate the kind of pressure necessary to pop that gasket....

you're installing it dry, no sealer or anything, huh?

greg

Comment

I tryed it dry the first time, then it blew so i used copper spray a gasket and it still blew.

Is 10-12 ft lbs too much torque?

This time there was a rip in it, last one there was not. It's hard to explain without a pic, but it keeps blowing in the center where it goes over tyhe valve itself.........theres 2 stips of gasket on each side, and that is where it is always wet with oil.........

But the tear was close to the outer edge

Comment

you're seating the valve, with the rubber o-ring, then putting the gasket on, then the rave pod, bolting it on, installing bellows, crown, spring, cover, spring, etc....

when you go to pull the valve, if the gasket sticks to the cylinder like they always do, the valve itself will tear those two strips as it comes up.

what it sounds like is you're breaking the gasket's "hymen".....

what is leading you to pull it? oily gunk shooting out between the pod and the cylinder?

greg ( somewhat confused, post a pic!!)

Comment

Valve seats seem to be fine.......as far as i can see by the naked eye the gasket surfaces are fine

Comment

Yes i did all that.......i did the pto rave to and have had zero problems with it, just the mag rave.........and i assembled them both the same way........i'm totally lost as to why this thing keeps eating gaskets

Comment

could the cage surface be uneven or the engine surface be uneven and not visible by the naked eye........cause i think the rip could have been from me torquing to hard, but i did the same on the pto side.......3 in a row...this is me

Those 2 strips is where it is wet, not torn........it was torn closer to the outer edge of the gasket.......warped surface?

[ June 24, 2003, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

It's possible...easy to check though.
                        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Maybe the hole through the rave pod is blocked?
                          I have NEVER seen a rave pod gasket "blow out". Not once. Ever. Out of thousands I have seen. There is really no big amount of pressure on that gasket from the exhaust, and no reason I can think of for it to blow out.

You would need to have a blocked muffler to create that kind of pressures in the exhaust system.
                          Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

As far as i know i don't have a blocked muffler.....wouldn't it affect performance? Because this things runs just fine.

Not to sound stupid, but how do you guys check to see if the surface is warped?

And i will check to see if that hole is blocked Bill.

Thanks

Comment

Ok, the hole is not blocked..have not verified if the surface is warped, still waiting for ideas on how to check it.....and if it is tech support, what do i do since the motor is still under warranty?

And i hate to ask this question again, but can i get new rebuild kits again? [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X