Too much oil!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much oil!

I'm a newbie looking at a good deal on a '92 Polaris SL 650 that runs good on the trailer. Has got new bearings and shaft(not the engine, the impeller). Is the injection system worth trying to adjust, or would it be okay to run premix, and if so, what ratio? My main concern is that I have had dirtbikes where the injected oil was piped straight to a main bearing and then it mixed in the crankcase with the gas. Also where do you hookup flush water to this thing? All I can find is water hoses going to the exhaust end. I saw the article about an extra fuel pump to feed the front carb. What mph or other improvement could that be worth vs. cost? I'm an older guy that has had outboard and inboard and in/out boats before, but have never owned a pwc before, and any and all tips and info will be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance, BigD

Don't try to adjust the oil pump. If you are in doubt as to it working correctly, either replace it (around $200) or go to pre-mix. Using a good TC-W3 oil, mix it at 40:1 on your engine. Yes, the extra fuel pump is needed and we highly recommend it. You need to get a Polaris flush fitting from your local dealer - it goes to the cooling rail on the head - there is a cap on one side that screws off. I'll leave the performance questions to Polaris guys...

Comment

Check-out these previous threads: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/cgi-bin/u...c&f=8&t=000187
      http://www.sbtontheweb.com/cgi-bin/u...c&f=8&t=000159
      http://www.sbtontheweb.com/cgi-bin/u...c&f=9&t=000055

After you go through those threads, fire away with any specifics. The guys that respond (SeaLion, Raider1100 and others) are very helpful. I am newbie also but have gone through my SL750 top-end. If I can help, I'll try.

Good Luck

Comment

Thanks, guys. I tried to go to groupk.com and nothing came up. I'm downloading hotseatperformance.com catalog. Who's got the best prices online? I want to look at the mikuni pentagonal high flow pump and the one from Polaris w/ the three outlets. What is a ride plate, sorta like a trim tab? Is there much to the inj. block-off kit, should a dealer stock it?

Thanks again, later

[ April 20, 2001: Message edited by: BigD ]

Comment

Hey BigD,
          (tried to go to groupk.com and nothing came up)
          Try again they do have some good technical data.
          (hotseatperformance.com catalog)
          They don't have the best prices but they do have stuff that you can't find elsewhere, as far as I know.
          (Who's got the best prices online) www.dctsports.com, www.denniskirk.com, www.atlanticjetsports.com and www.choppercity.com have competitive prices.
          (mikuni pentagonal high flow pump and the one from Polaris)
          DennisKirk has a good selection of pumps and SBT has pumps, I just don't know what selection.
          (What is a ride plate)
          I guess some of them could act like trim-tabs do. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in your ride. SeaLion and SubmarineAZ pointed me towards OceanPro. www.atlanticjetsports.com has a good photo and description but I don't know if anyone stocks them, AJS didn't. I called Ken @ OP to order mine. I go in water this weekend[break-in].
          (inj.block-off kit)
          There's not much to it. Remove the oil line, drain the oil tank, remove the pump, pull the shaft and seal it the hole with a gasketed block-off plate and "pre-mix your fuel." I think that covers it. Anyone? If your ordering anything else online line ad it to your order. I don't know about dealer stock. I did everything online or buy phone and oh yeah, www.parkeryamaha.com they can get or stock almost anything at good prices.

Well, I think I got everything but I too am new to the sport. I hope one of the Vets will back me up and/or correct my diversions.

Hope this helps
          Later

[ April 20, 2001: Message edited by: UniBougie ]

Comment

Thanks, that ought to get my credit card smokin' for a while.

Comment

www.heeters.com is where I picked up my mikuni fuel pumps at.

I'm new to the game as well... but I believe you have the same hull as I on my SL750.

Some basic things for handling: Extended ride plate & perhaps some sponsons if you feel like being very VERY labor intensive. ;)

I don't know if the SLX extended pump conversion would work for the SL650. Perhaps SeaLion knows?

Take care,
              -Skexies

Comment

Working...
              X