Info Needed on Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info Needed on Rebuild

I am in the process of rebuilding the motor in my Polaris 750 SLT. I have a couple of questions i hope someone can help me with. First, when putting the crank into the case my shop manual says to fill thefront & rear oil seals with low temperature grease. Is this a special kind of grease? Can it be purchased at an auto parts store, or is it a marine item. Second,when putting the two halves of the case together, the manual says to use "Loctite Gasket Eliminator 515". Is this special in any way? Will regular form-a-gasket work? I am having trouble finding this in my area.Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but I am new to engine rebuilding & do not want to have to do this again for a while. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Use a CV joint, bearing or axle grease on the seals. Use Permatex The Right Stuff to join the halves. Both of these are available in major auto supply stores.

Comment

i prefer to use white lithium grease thats available at auto stores. As for the perma gasket make sure you use something thats imprevious to gasoline. I prefer to use a very thin skin of 1211. Thats what the stuff is called. Im sure most jet skia nd boat palces have it. If ou cant find it then use a permatex brand, but make sure you only apply a thin coat. What i like to do is after I apply it i go with a putty knife and smooth it out lie you would butter on bread.
      Now try to keep it out of the inside of the crank case. Remember when the halves squish together the stuff squirts/ oozes out the sides on the outside and the inside. So do a thin coat as possible. Good luck
      sorry bryan just wanted to expand on your post
      Rob

Comment

No prob - good info. Just about any grease will do - you're just adding a thin layer between the seal and crank.

We tried many different products to seal the cases with - we even called in Loctite to examine our needs and The Right Stuff was definitely the best formula to use on used cases. I have not used 1211 myself - I can't say how it would work.

You're right - just a thin coat will do - just lay a small bead and spread it with your finger.

Comment

Bob
          I use the lithium grease. The 3 Bond 1211 works great, I've used it for years. It costs about $25 per tube at the dealer but you can find it on eBay for $13.50. Try this link. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1122975364
          Use only a light coat spread with your finger. You don't want any extra blobs squeezeing inside the cases. Follow the torque sequence carefully in "steps" and then "pressure test" after assembled. Hold 10 lbs for 10 minutes should do the trick. Good luck & have fun. [img]smile.gif[/img]
          Bob & Rob Asmega<br />Mega Fast Racing

Comment

I usually apply the gasket sealer directly to my finger, first, then to the part(s)- then spread it out as thin as you can. It's just one more way of assuring that you don't get too much on, and have the misfortune of a piece coming loose, and getting where it doesn't need to be!
            BTW, I've NEVER had a gasket leak, that the surfaces have been prepared properly, and the sealant applied in this manner.
            Hope this helps you out!
            [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ March 14, 2001: Message edited by: NEXP5 ]

Comment

Working...
            X