#1 piston scald

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1 piston scald

Last July I unintentionally blew my 1050 motor by forgetting to seal my oil cap down and it allowed water into what was a rocket ship motor -totally my fault !! I got it out of the shop last august and made about 5 runs on it and on 3 of the runs the motor after a 8-10 mile ride would just bog and die like it was starving for fuel -I carried my boat back to the dealer who made a carb adj. and I went back to the lake had the same prob!!- He made another carb adj at the dealership , I went back for another run and it did run better but has a definite bog on the bottom end and the plugs were now oily and would foul -took it back to the dealer and was told Quote " I would rather have you burning up plugs than motors" End quote
    And that is what i done -long story short I bought a place at lake gaston last month and have been riding strong for about the last 2 weeks and the dieing out has started again -it did it 3 times before i could get back in and the 3rd time it blew again
    Dealer says he cannot find anything that would have caused it- no trash in the carbs, no water in carbs, plugs are oily, the top of the piston is oily, but the piston sides are scalded so there was heat coming from somewhere!
    If it helps you the top of the piston on the exhaust side looks like it has been shaved down with a file,It looks like the heat just shaved it down to the rings and that's when she lost compression
    Any Ideas on what I should have them do will be appreciated!!
    Also this is a great Website!!
    Thanks for your time
    Dewayne Stancil
    THe only modifications on the boat is, boysen reeds were put in after the 1st motor blew and it has a hotseat waterbox

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: 97 SL 1050 ]

I got my boat back this weekend and did my break in on it saturday but sunday she started doing the same thing it did the 1st time!! It seems that at around 3/4 throttle and after several miles of running at 3/4 throttle that the boat just starves for fuel and will shut down but when I restart the boat it fires right back up and runs good for another couple of miles and it will do the same thing !!
    Any Idea's as to what could cause this??
    Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Comment

The first thing I would do is rebuild the carbs and pump(s). It sounds like your dealer has not done this, and it needs to be done if you are having fuel supply problems.

Comment

first of all, it sounds like you need to find another shop to work on your ski. Just because your carbs look good does not mean they are adjusted right. If you do not do a wide open shut-off you cannot get a good plug reading for high speed carb adjustment. You need to get someone to adjust your carbs that knows what in the hell they are doing. If you have burned up another piston, then they should be liable for it. You should also have them check for air leaks into your fuel system. They should also check your tank vents for proper operation, and also the fuel pump. Until you solve your lean condition, you should be very carefull about how you ride.

Comment

Brian ,I got my boat back this weekend and this time they replaced the CDI box ,they said it may not have been advancing the timing right,but I made about 4 runs w/it this weekend and it seems to be running much better but I have lost close to 500 RPM since he changed the box-the old one would run around 68-6900 RPM and now Im only getting Around 6400 RPM -Would a CDI box make that much of a change??

Comment

It will if it's timing is off - either in the box or at the stator...or carbs that are too rich on the top-end...

Comment

I also have a 97 SL1050 and was wondering how you got 6800-6900 rpm out of it? My stock rev limiter engages at 6700rpm. Are we talking about stock CDI's here?

Comment

I could be wrong but I think all the domestic engines have a 7200 rpm rev limiter.

Comment

I checked my owners manual and it says 6800 +/- 100 rpm. Hmmm, now how do I get those revs back [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The 97 limiter would turn on around 6740. If he put a box in there from another year, I would suspect compatability with your stator.

I think the REAL problem lies with the initial rebuild. It sounds like the front cylinder is not sealed completely, or the case is leaking. In either case the best way to determine the overall health of your motor would be a pressure test.

Switch mechanics...NOW.
                    mark

Comment

Working...
                    X