Fuel Pump Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump Replacement

I've decided to go ahead and replace the existing pump on my SLT 750 with a Mikuni high-flow pump in order to a) replace a 5-year old part and b)alleviate the lean cylinder problem known on these types of motors. Simply replacing the pump this way will also not force me to do any additional "plumbing" work.

Questions:

-Anyone know the model # of the Mikuni high-flow triple outlet pump? Who has it, and whats a reasonable price?

-I plan on putting the pump exactly where the old pump was, mounted on the air intake. If there's a problem with the engine vibrations causing some problems on pumps, why do they mount it there in the first place? Should I consider putting it elsewhere?

Any other items I should know on this install? with the high-flow unit should I expect to have to adjust the carbs? I hope not, It seems to be running very well as is - may consider just replacing with a polaris OEM piece if I do have to adjust (You know, if it ain't broke...)

Thanks in advance. Is spring here yet? I'm REALLY getting anxious for it.

It should run you about $50. I would contact Bill from www.watercraftmagic.com first and see what he has or can get. If he can't help you Parker Yamaha may have one. They list the dual carn version for $40, you'd have to call for the triple.

Comment

Thanks Bryan.

So, you think I'm doing alright using this method?

Also, what about the mounting location issue?

Jeff

Comment

Yes, there is nothing wrong with going with one good unit. As far as mounting, anywhere but on the block is good.

Comment

Calling Bill O'Neal:

See above. Can you let me know prices and availability of above (triple Mikuni high-flow), either here or by e-mail?

Also, what's your feelings on this type of action to prevent the possible lean-cylinder situation?

Thanks!

Comment

i am thinking about doing the same to my sl750. how much can i get one for BIll?

Comment

Found a Mikuni triple outlet pump on a snowmobile site. Would this be the same as what would be used on a PWC? Also, it doesn't say it's a high-flow, I don't think it is.

Anybody got a model # for a high-flow Mikuni fuel pump? Where can you get one? Desperate here, really want to get it on the machine before spring.

Also: I'm guessing that I'll have to do some extra "plumbing" to run lines separately to each of the 3 carbs. Anyone got any hints/diagrams of this procedure?

Comment

Without seeing the flow specs for thte pump in question, I can't tell you if it would work or not.

SeaLion has used the high flow pumps in the past - where did you get them, man?

Comment

You could also probably get one from Harry at www.groupk.com

Comment

Bryan, I got it from a local pwc shop. Polaris sells it too. I have a plumbing diagram and an exploded view of the pump I will e-mail you to post here. It is out of the factory Polaris manual. Note the fuel pump bracket is simple to make to mount it in the hull reinforcing rib by the carbs or can be purchased from Polaris.

[ February 08, 2002, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]

Comment

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but do know I appreciate all the help...

I'm guessing If I replace the stock Polaris pump with the triple outlet, I'll have to do some carb adjustment? Scares the hell out of me to do so, it's running so good right now.

Also, I'll have to put some kind of backflow restrictor in each line to the carbs?

I'm going by a Polaris dealer in Osage Beach, MO tomorrow (Seebold Sports). Hopefully they can answer some of my questions too. Maybe they'll even have the pump on hand. Then again they might just convince me to simply replace the pump with a new one just like my old.

Comment

No, you won't need to do any of that. The fuel pump simply supplies pressure to the carbs, which do all the regulating. The carbs, or the return lines near the carbs, are what also have the restrictors in them, not the pump. When changing a pump, you don't do any other sort of adjustment.

Comment

You already have a fuel restrictor on the return line. It is zip tied to keep it in place. You don't need any other restrictor in any other lines. The plumbing is all there in the post and your fuel pump shouldn't have anything to do with carb tuning. Your metering in the carbs will remain the same, you are just reducing the risk of not enough fuel getting to them before the metering begins and you eliminate the possibility of a seizure.

Comment

If you really want to get technical and add extra insurance then by pass the fuel petcock. They can lead to trouble on all models. This might be getting too deep for a rec boat but I just want to address all the possible problems. Read Bill O's post in the aftermarket board. Like I said, this might be extreme on a rec boat but many people do it, including myself. There was actually a tsb for the fuel petcock on my previuos 95 SL750 to replace it because of possible restrictions and seizure. I just by passed it and did the same on my current 96 SLX780 to not have to worry about it.

Comment

Hey, you guys are great, thanks!

Last question, and I'll quit. High-flow triple Mikuni,or "regular" triple Mikuni?

I'm think regular will do it. Also costs about half the high-flow price.

Comment

Working...
                              X