Polaris PRO 1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polaris PRO 1200

Can anyone tell me general things about this boat in terms of handling, power, strenths, and
    weaknesses? I am looking at a 2000 model. I was/am considering a 2000 SLX also. If I am
    not racing, should I stick with the SLX? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

It all comes down to your riding style. If you like to cruise and go leisurely down the lake/river/ocean, pick up an SLX. If you like to carve, ride aggresively, like to feel like you are actually having some input as to how the boat handles and are in decent shape, go with the Pro 1200. The SLX will actually be a little faster on top end than the Pro since the SLX has less wetted surface but the Pro hulls turn like nobody's business.

Comment

Thanks for the response. That's kind of what I thought might be the case. As long as I can keep the neighbors and friends on the 'other stable' skis, then I think the Pro is the way to go. But, if I end up letting many people ride the ski I am going to get, I will stick with the SLX then. I have a 1997 Seadoo SPX and the chunkier riders can barely get on it.. and when they fall off out in the lake they usually cannot get on due to its less stabe / more carve happy nature. Don't need to buy another ski that will be flipping over all day and getting hyrdo locked.

Comment

The Pro hull isn't very tippy, it's actually really stable, probably as much so as an SLX. I've never flipped/rolled my Pro 785. The other thing I forgot to mention is that the Pro hulls deliver a very wet ride compared to the other Polaris lineup. Good luck!

Comment

sinister, The 2001 model was a little faster than the 200 model when tested in watercraft world(granted, conditions weren't the same and a lot of variables here). The 2001 has case reed induction and I think the 2000 model has a different induction system. I am not sure if this really makes a difference. Both years are probably great boats. I never have ridden a 2000 model so I may heave really jumped the gun a little. Overall, not much different between the 2 from what I can see and have stated.

[ March 28, 2002, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: sl ]

Comment

All Polaris engines use reeds induction. The only watercraft engines that didn't were the rotary valve sea-doo's and old piston induction Kawi 440 and 550's.

Comment

The only real difference between the 2000 and the 2001 SLX from what I understand is the 2001 has a different impeller. It's a little faster on top out of the box but the bottom end is slightly less then the 2000. Both of these numbers are extremely insignificant. I have a 2000 SLX that was easily faster than my friends 2001 when both were stock (I've come to realize that I had an exceptional luck of the draw and got what was referred to as a wed boat [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img] ) Anyways the boats are almost identical except for the "frying pan" black which looks very cool but I'm thinking on a 92 degree day would be anything but. I'll give my friend credit though, with a jet black boat and the nasty snarl from a hsp waterbox he's the one that gets all the attention when we go out [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
              00 SLX<br />03 SVT F-150

Comment

I just bought a 2001 SLX. It is a great boat and man is it fast. The SLX handles well, IMO. I have briefly ridden a 1200pro in the past and I liked the SLX better. The SLX hull is a little more forgiving and heavier which I liked better for such a powerful motor. You would likely have to ride aggressively all the time to really get the most out of the 1200pro and enjoy it. I figure I can just add an intake grate and beachhouse sponsons to the SLX and have the handling I want. The 2001 SLX is better than the 2000. Both boats absolutely haul a$$. The SLX is just as quick as the 1200pro and it has better top end by 1-2 mph. The 2001 SLX is probably the fastest stock boat available off the showroom floor.

I have a 1998 SPX as well. I have ridden the X-4 based hulls for 8 years and really like them but I have mastered them so I can ride full throttle all the time. The problem with that is I have blown 2 Sea Doo motors. I have only 5 hours on my new Polaris and man, it has too much power for me to ride real aggressive yet--much more than the Sea Doo. The 1200pro and SLX are the 2 most underrated runabouts/musclecraft out there. How the gp1200r is praised so much for its speed amazes me. It is one of the slowest boats available out of the hole (but has a powerful midrange) of all watercraft available.

One last thing, these boats are not quiet, and the pro is louder than the SLX. Personally, I like the sound of my SLX, but it is a little loud by todays standard. It is a bad boy sound, not like a small whiney 2 stroke.
                I love the name--polaridoo!

[ March 28, 2002, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: sl ]

Comment

Hopefully the black will not be too hot this summer! I must say, I love the looks of it and the beautiful red monster under the seat!

Scott

Comment

The 1200pro is a hot looking boat as well! Looks like a red ferrari and has great hydroturf mats on it.

Comment

Originally posted by sl:
                      The 2001 SLX is better than the 2000.
                      How do you figure? The only differnece I see is the 2001 has the timing advanced 5 degees and the black paint serves as a makeshift frying pan on the water.

Comment

Buy them both!! I have a like new 99 SLX cheap on ebay ending Sunday night ... take a look!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1815849457

Comment

It is a very nice looking SLX that you have on Ebay. But biggest problem is I live in Colorado Springs... long way from where you live. Plus, I would really like the 1200 SLX.

Comment

Re: Polaris PRO 1200

i have a 2000 slx and its stabe and faster than most anything on the water. I have had some carb issues though from the factory. but over all its a fun ski

Comment

Re: Polaris PRO 1200

Wow, thats an old post.
                              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X