carb tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb tuning

My freshly rebuilt 96slt780 seems to be running well now, with a minor exception. I have checked the plugs after a sustained high rpm run, and they look nicely colored. However, when running around 5200 rpm or so, I have a slight surge that feels a little like a fuel injection surge. Open it up and it disappears.
    Also, occasionally when I go to full throttle from idle like when pulling someone, it will stumble and I have to back off and hit it again.
    Any thoughts out there? thanks in advance.

It sounds like you just need to fine tune the low-speed screws. One or more is probably a bit rich.

Comment

The 780's have a little sluggish/surge spot in that rpm range. It is mainly from the stock porting. Fine tuning the carbs will not get rid of it in my experience. When I went to some mods, it went away. If anything, I would try some Boyesen Rad valves. It's hard for me to pin point what got rid of it because I put a lot of things on at once and I am not even in the stock powerband anymore but an educated guess is going to the Rad valves or staying out of that rpm range.

Comment

Kenny I know this sounds hard to do but try pulling the seat back a little to let more air in the hull. I have found that alot of these boats are starving for air. You can also take the storage compartment out and open the front hatch a little but be careful or you might sink your boat. If this helps call me I have an air kit I sell that no-one can see(hmmmmm) and it allows alot more air in the hull and NO H2O>> One other question does it do it if the motor is freshly started cold or only after you have run it awhile and the engine is at temp? Do not adjust your low speed screws to help your 5200 rpm problem only the stumble off throttle. PS are you sure your chokes are fully open????

Comment

Working...
        X