MFD shows 18-19 volts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MFD shows 18-19 volts?

Battery was a little low the other day so I hooked up the maintainer (have this hard wired in so I can just hook up w/o taking battery out each time).

Charged a little while, then decided to go ahead and take battery out to check water, was about 1/2 inch low in each cell. Put distilled water in to the level marks.

Put battery back in, charged some more, then went to the lake. MFD displays 18-19 volts now, while off and while running. Any ideas what's going on here? I was going to try disconnecting the battery and letting it sit then reconnect to see what happens. All other functions of MFD are operating correctly, and boat is running fine.

Thanks - ShowMe

Must be the stumper of the day - anybody got any ideas? Bryan? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry, no idea.

Comment

Mine has done that before, well, not quite that high, but higher than it should read.

3 guesses. Loose ground on battery. Bad voltage regulator. Or, just don't trust the display.

Do, just as you said, disconnect the battery and let it sit for a while and then reconnect. See if that fixes it.

Comment

Oh yeah, confirm the reading with a sepearate volt meter.

Comment

Was working perfectly before I did the charge-up.

Will take it off tonight and let it set then reconnnect, hope that helps. I think I did have it hooked up good, but you never know (although it ran just fine all day).

At what points should I check the voltage to see what the charging system is putting out?

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

If your battery maintainer is hard wired this might be the cause. Some chargers had a capacitor in them that will hold a charge. Try disconnecting the maintainer & checking the battery with a VOM then see what the display says.

[ July 17, 2002, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Scott D ]

Comment

The maintainer is not hard-wired. I simply have a hard wire (maybe not the right term here) attached to the battery and running up inside the hull to the top back by the seat.

That way I can simply take the seat off and hook the charger up to the plug at the end of the "hard wire", thus avoiding having to take the CDI box loose and taking the battery out each time. I also don't leave the battery charger in the boat, for weight (oh yeah a whole 1-2 pounds, I know) reasons.

Any of the boys from Seebold in Osage Beach reading this? What's a voltage regulator for a 95 SLT 750 cost, should this be the problem?

Thanks

[ July 16, 2002, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: ShowMeSLT750 ]

Comment

Have you checked the battery voltage with a meter. That is the next step. I don't think your battery would charge to 18v even if your regulator was bad.

Comment

The battery seems fine. I checked it with a voltmeter the other day when I had it unhooked and it was low, about 10-11 volts. I charged it and now it reads just over 12 volts.

Hooked the battery back up last night, didn't start motor, and the MFD still shows at 17+ volts. I know it isn't the battery, I'm guessing the MFD has a problem as opposed to a voltage regulator.

Anyone know the Polaris warranty on the MFD (if any)? This one was new last September. And, what about the price of the regulator? If the regulator's cheap (yeah right, uh-huh) I may just get one and try it.

Going to check with dealer on these questions too.

If things are too pricey and there's no warranty, then I'll live with it. The machine (and the MFD) runs fine otherwise.

Comment

This is why Nobody recommends what you have done.
                      (Hard wiring in a float charger.)
                      If you are going to the dealer, please unhook that stuff first or they will toss you out,
                      IMO
                      365 days a year sunny in SW Fla.
                      275 hours on my STX-12F

Comment

A voltage regulator can't increase your battery's voltage reading unless the engine is running and trying to charge.

I'd look elsewhere, as you said... perhaps a bad mfd.

On a charger, you could read around 16 volts and after totally disconnected that may only float around for a little bit... shortly the battery will read normal voltage. Which is what... 12.5-14.7 volts unloaded?

If your battery is reading below 12 volts after charging... you've got a bad cell in the battery.

One other work of knowledge... there are 16v batteries out there that some people have been known to place in jetskis... be careful you don't have one.. ;)

Take care!!!
                        -Skexies

Comment

Update:

Had to put a new battery in yesterday cause the machine wouldn't turn over. I think the battery was bad, aside from the other problems...

I think the mfd is bad. I worked a bit with Mark at Seebold (thanks for the help there) and he had me check the voltage at the battery while the engine was running and it wasn't the high voltage the display reads.

I can live with a false reading on the MFD. But it just makes me mad to know they (Polaris, not the dealer's fault) charge $280 for this gauge and it doesn't last but 8 months. Oh well.

On another note, I was riding hard yesterday and once when I came down hard off a wave the motor slowed down and I lost about 1000 rpm on WOT. I stopped, opened the engine compartment and found I had a plug wire come off the middle cylinder. Put it back on, and back in business.

Anyone know where to get those clips ( I know MSD makes them) for spark plugs? Pro785lim, do you guys have them at Seebold in Osage Beach? Before anyone says it, I am going to crimp the connectors on the plug wires for a tighter fit too.

Comment

I know several of you post about gauge issues but I have never had any MFD issues to date on my 7 years of owning Polaris' nor have any of my buddies Polaris' had any MFD issues. Just thought I would inject some positive on the gauges. I am on the west coast and maybe freezing temps can ruin it? Are you guys with gauge problems in colder climates? Just a thought.

Comment

I think luck has lots to do with it. When I bought my machine last fall, the previous owner bought a new gauge as part of the deal.

I keep mine in the basement during the winter too, never even near freezing temps.

As far as my situation goes, I may still buy the regulator/rectifier. Only about $20, worth a shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X