No announcement yet.

MFD shows 18-19 volts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About the plug boots coming off the spark plug...the best solution is to replace the boot. They are $5.00/ea for the OEM (NGK) and are easy to replace. Remember to snip 1/4" from the wire end prior to installing the boot and use dielectric grease on the wire and plug ends. The electrical performance will then be greatly enhanced.

Comment

The NGK ones just "screw off and on"?? I've seen people say this, but hesitate to do so for fear of it not being so.

I'm used to the auto plug wires, crimping and the like.

Comment

Yes they have basically a drywall screw in the boots.

Comment

2 of 2 here were dead after a few years.

Comment

Well since you are in sunny Florida, I guess that shoots down my theory of cold climate, LOL. Maybe my buddies and I are lucky???

Comment

Well, I'll just have to give it a go then! Although I'm not having any "spark" problems. Couldn't hurt.

Do you recommend putting anything on the inside of the boot just before screwing it back on the wire? I assume you cut the wire straight, no stripping needed?

Comment

I picked up a fresh set of plug clips / boots from the dealer... not to much $$$.

My MFD had some issues... last season it really freaked, but I think that came from moisture in the brain box, not the mfd???

SO far this season, only the clock and the fuel gauge doesn't work. I re-routed the fuel sender to the oil display on the MFD since I run pre-mix.... problems solved... no other failures past that... '95 mfd

Comment

showme, you can use some dielectric grease. Also put some zip ties on the boots to keep the wires snug and in tight.

Comment

Your lucky sealion these things suck. I do live up in mn though, problebly a temp issue. I know a guy who can repair them, but he sent mine back with a crappy glue job and it leaked and died. It doesnt look good but it might work after it dries.
                    97 SPX built to go fast, and jump...What YOU got?

Comment

Yeah I've seen the guy post on the pwc central board. Luckily mine and others I personally know have been fine. :D

Comment

The faulty voltage reading issue is a common problem with the round gauge used earlier Polaris. There is a accidental series of key strokes that can cause it or it will sometimes happen after charging. Once done, I know of no way to reverse it. The rest of the gauge function will be normal, but a 12-12.5 volt actual battery voltage will read 14-14.5 volts. While the boat is running it can get to 18 or 19. I contacted the manufacturer of the original gauge but we were unable to actually resolve anything. The round gauge will also reset on engine hours on occasion. I have had 3 different gauges do that. Starting with the more rectangular one in the SL900 and up none of these problems exist. Only the occasional fading of the led segments.

Comment

Interestingly enough, my 2001 SLH did reset the hours gauge back to 0 (after about 20 hours total). The gauge was acting very odd so I disconnected the battery, reconnected it. It was still acting weird, so I pressed the Mode button and the LED started flashing. Well, next thing I know the hours got reset.

Comment

Working...
                          X