No announcement yet.

Finally got my '00 SLX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah there was water in the hull. When I took the drain plug out the 1st time it ran a pretty strong flow for about 7 seconds or so.

I wasnt able to give them a call today. Had to work ALL day. But I will keep you all posted.

Since in seized, does that mean it will have to be rebuilt? Or if the compression is okay, will it be okay in the future?

Comment

Like I said, the water might have come from a loose or damaged cooling line. This in turn would not give adequate cooling for the engine and it would get hot to the point of seizing. Once seized, even if compression checks out fine, it will never be the same or see its full potential. You can bet that the cyilinder or piston is scored or else it wouldn't have shut down. The dealer should pull the heads and inspect the bores even if compression checks out acceptable. Actually the cylinders should come off too to inspect the piston skirts. If they don't want to get this involved then tell them to give you an extended warranty for free because sooner or later the seizure will rear its ugly head. Murphy's Law probably says that it will rear its ugly head after your 1 year factory warranty.

Comment

I took it back to the dealer today, and they are going to check compression and the hoses. He said he didn't think there was any damge because the hot light "comes on long before it actually overheats. It has a reall cool thermostat in it" were his exact words.

He seems to think it is just hose and nothing major. Lets hope so.

John

Comment

Talk to any knowledgeable Polaris mechanic and you will find out that the overheat sensor is pure bs. Long before the gauge flashes hot, the engine will seize. That stupid sensor is more of a gimick. BTW, don't be surprised if you don't have a thermostat in there. Polaris quit putting the thermostat in their pwc either in 2000 or 2001. If your engine cut out at speed then you seized? Plain and simple. Please keep us updated on what the dealer says and recommends. Good luck with it. It sucks to get a new boat and have this happen. It might just be lack of proper prep on the dealers part but it sure can ruin a buying experience quick? The main objective now is to have proper diagnosis and the correct remedy.

Comment

yeah, the guy i talked to was the sales manager and he seems to kinda be full of it...like most salesmen I guess.

I'll let you know what they say. I just talked to them a second ago and he said they plan to take it out on the water tomorrow and see if they can duplicate the problem.

Dont really know if that is a good thing or not.

Comment

You mean they want to possibly seize it again and risk bottom end failure too? I guess if they plan to replace the engine with a new factory Polaris one then it's fine to do that? Maybe they'll run it with the seat off just to spot any cooling line leaks and not let it get to the point of seizing again? If they have a test tank, that would reveal it too?

Comment

Mechanic at the dealer just called and said he took it to the river Saturday and idled it for a while and there were not leaks or heat problems. All the seals looked good and nothing got hot to the touch. He said he rode it for a bout 30 minutes around 3/4 throttle and it bever missed a step. He said he was about to do a compression check and if it looked ojay, he said I shouldnt have any problems.

I tried to get him to pull the heads and he said there was no need if compression was good and it ran good, but if it happened again to come back.

Then I told him next time, it might need a rebuild but he insisted it was okay.

What questions shouls I ask when I go to pick it up? Thanks a ton for your all's help so far.

John

Comment

There are really no more questions to ask then have been previously stated. The fact still remains that you had a minor seizure. No telling how long it will run or if it will ever see its full potential. The HOT reading on the mfd verifies it got hot and seized. Maybe it was a temporary cooling blockage and is no longer present, so the dealer can't duplicate it? I bet if they took it apart it would show the scoring. Maybe not even on the cylinder but on the piston itself. That actually requires quite a bit of dissassembly to inspect.

Comment

Are watercraft warranties the same as car warranty, as in can I take it to another dealer adn still get warranty work? I ask because there is another dealer about an hour away and I am thinking about making the trip to let thme check it out.

Comment

Yes, you can take it to any Certified Brand dealer for service, although many dealers illegally give customers hassles about doing so or working on skis they did not sell them. I advise peopel to contact the Brand Customer Service centers to report such refusal of service, as it breached OEM Dealer agreements.

Comment

well, it happened again today. I guess I'll try to take to another dealer and see if they wanna do anything about it before it blows up. Only on the second tank of gas and the dang thing has seized twice. Both times at about 1/2 throttle.

Comment

This same thing happened to me with an older ski with a newly rebuilt motor. When the motor suddenly stopped while running about three quarter throttle, I got out my plug wrench, took the seat off and checked my plugs right then and there on the lake to determine the cause of the stoppage. In my case the rear plug was white indicating a lean mixture. Just something you might try if it happens again.

Comment

Working...
                          X