1995 Polaris SL 750 Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Polaris SL 750 Problems

Hi all, new here. My dad bought 2 Polaris PWC the other day and one of them is acting up. The first one (95 750 SLT) runs fine and goes nice. Its my first one and is a blast. The other one (95 SL 750) all of a sudden stopped on me. We were putting it in the water for the first time and i putted out a little ways and waited for deeper water and then hit the gas. and it revved a bit but didnt go anywhere. I tried again. no go. then it shut off and now wont restart. There is fuel, spark on all 3 cyls, and good compression (85-90 psi on all) and it wont run at all. It wont even fart a little. Im really confused. I had a friend who is a lawn mower mechanic look at it and he is puzzled. Can anyone help me? thanks, tom

You *probably* just have a bad gauge, but if you really have 80-90 in each jug,that's 20-30 low, and you have serious damage.

Comment

I heard that 100 psi would be considered low for this engine. And the gauge is correct. If it was 'low' then the engine should run. This gauge is used daily by a lawn mower mechanice. looks like i need a new engine......

Comment

Somehow I still doubt the calibration of the gauge.

Comment

I agree, the gauge seems off. Even if the compression was as low as reported, the engine should still fire and run, just not very well.

Comment

not trying to be ignorant or anything, but why would you think the gauge is wrong? just wondering what your reasoning would be.

Comment

Umm, did you say you have two polaris ski's? As to the dilemma with the compression gauge, why don't you test the compression on the other ski, and get a baseline reading for your gauge.

Those models were beyond notorious here in florida for having water in the fuel tank, due to the location of the fuel filler. The original filler necks, caps, and gaskets were prone to cracking and failure resulting in water getting in the fuel.

if you have a cracked filler neck, cap, or gasket you need to replace it with the new and improved kit from polaris, then clean the fuel tank, all fuel lines, and all three carburetors, using new kits for each one.

[ August 03, 2002, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: John Kubiak ]
              John Kubiak
              Powersports Technical Training Professional
              Las Vegas, Nevada
              Sea-Doo Tech 13736
              PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
              PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
              NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
              Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Check your flywheel Key. I have seen them sheer and spin the magneto on the crank. IF you have spark, it could be firing at the wrong time due to the flywheel being at the wrong location on the crank. I would think you would still get a backfire or the motor would try and fire even if this is your problem. Bring the mag piston to tdc and then go counterclockwise .081 of an inch and the flywheel timing mark should be in the window in the top of the crankcase. If it is not then you had better pull the mag off and check it. AS far as compression goes it would be tough to get an engine to run with 80 lbs of compression. Sounds like you are ready for a top end rebuild if indeed the compression is that!!! I would pull the heads and take a look at the pistons and Bore for seizure marks are possibly even a broken ring. Good luck Call if you need anymore help 260-637-7953 :D

[ August 03, 2002, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Tim ]

Comment

Im gonna yank the tank tomorrow and maybe itll go. if not then top end rebuild and check the timing on it. thanks all

Comment

There was an update kit from Polaris to fix the cracking fuel caps and filler necks

Also make sure your battery has a good chrage and that you are holding the throttle wide open when you do your compression checks
                    He who dies with the most toys Still dies! So have fun with them 1970 SS 396 Chevelle, 86 ATC 250R (RAD valve,K&N, FMF gold series, bandit XC's), 97 XLT600SP (SLP tripple pipes, reverse, EPI clutch kit), 95 SL750 (all the bolt on's) & 96 SLX

Comment

Re: 1995 Polaris SL 750 Problems

Hey i have 2 of these machines and both of the compression tests show 120 for all pistions thats why people are saying thats low for a check, you may have a bad reed valve mine would not fart or run with 2 broken reed teeth its started with lack of power than would not start they are pretty easy to change and cheap too i put Boyesen reeds in mine did it myself..
                      good luck!
                      Gabriel
                      :)

Comment

Re: 1995 Polaris SL 750 Problems

hi i had a 1995 sl750 i bought new there was a recall on the gas cap and filler neck also the rear grab handle if your gas cap and filler is purple you have the bad one the new ones are black

Comment

Working...
                        X