No announcement yet.

Going pre-mix - how to fool the gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going pre-mix - how to fool the gauge?

I'm going to go pre-mix on my 95 SLT750, leaving the empty reservoir in so as not to have to store it anywhere special and /or buy three shorter rubber straps for the fuel tank holdown. Any easy ways to "trick" the gauge into thinking the oil reservoir is full and avoiding the warning on the MFD?

I'm thinking this trick could be accomplished by electrical means, or I also thought I could just put a zip tie just below the float on the sending unit and thereby holding the float in the "full" position.

Thoughts?

Just splice the wires together to show a full tank.

Comment

Showme, You have it right on with the zip tie. DO NOT splice the wires, there is no need.

Comment

If you are concerned about reusing the oil sensor later, just get a t-splicer - the kind that clamps down and connect two wires without cutting them.

Comment

Both ideas sound very good. If I go with the zip tie, however, I'm going to put the ties on both above and below the sliding sensor in the oil tank, so as not to have the sensor jostling all around when riding. Won't break the sensor, and won't get oil readings "all over the place".
          [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I believe the oil sensor reads 32 ohms when full. You can cut the wires and solder a 32 ohm resistor between them. leave enough wire and you could resolder the old sensor back together if you wanted to. [not sure why you'd want to]

Comment

Put a rubber cap at oulet to bottle, "zip strip" it so it does not fall off...fill bottle with plain motor oil. That is what I did. No cut/spliced wires to allow moisture into and turn green over time and ruin a wire harness. Gauge shows oil at level you fill it to. If you decide to go back to injection, change oil in bottle, re-install feed line and pump...Wires still in OEM condition.
              ***1100 Venture***<br />OE head mod-- by Riva Yamaha<br />Wiseco (+ .5mm)<br />True-welded crank<br />Riva F/A+ Jet kit<br />Boyeson Power reeds<br />Riva 1100 CDI<br />NGK plugs- BR8HS<br />R&D Aqua-Vein<br />Solas 14-21 Super Camber//Impros<br />Riva rideplate<br />Amsoil "AIO" @ 50:1 pre-mix, currently KLOTZ Ski-Craft<br />MOBIL-1 grease in the pump<br />Sears Diehard<br /><br /> Dream-meter shows 65---- GPS says 54.2 mph best, 9/14/02 @ 850 ft elevation

Comment

I was going to leave the tank empty to take off weight (yeah, not much, but every little bit counts?)

Hopefully getting my motor back today, and will start putting my boat back together this weekend! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

removing the tank etc saves weight, but also creates another air intake hole ;)

Comment

I lost ya there, Skexies - I'm leaving the tank in, and its empty. I did the zip tie trick and it works perfect by the way. Spent the entire weekend putting my boat back together, and it runs!!! We're in the "break in" stage now.

Hey Skexies, I think you mentioned you have a triple outlet high volume Mikuni fuel pump. Where did you get the pump? I'm looking for a reputable dealer with big selection of various Mikuni pumps.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X