No announcement yet.

Sponsons on SLT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go to the "Outlet Store" section of the Polarisindustries.com site. I, too, thought they were out of stock, but found them in the outlet area, in 23" or 28", black or white.

They say they are for SL's and SLT's (23" for SL, 28" for SLT and SL w/entended pumps).

Shipping was like 5.99 regular ground, and they were at my door in 24 hours :)

Comment

No horror stories. I had mine on for years and rode in the toughest conditions. I even elongated the holes vertically to pull the sposons even further down for more bite and the inserts never pulled out. I would recommend using the exact size drill bit. I found it right away at the local hardware store. It was expensive as I recall, like $12 to $15 dollars back in '96.
      Did the Outlet Store sponsons come as the kit with inserts, insert tool, screws and the all important 3M special adhesive?

Comment

It's all there [img]smile.gif[/img] The adhesive was another brand though, but it was urethane. I thought it was interesting that the adhesive only goes on the inserts? I was of the impression prior that you glued the sponsons on as you bolted them on too. Was happy to see you could take them off. I think the inserts are waterproof? (It looks like they mash up and dont crack open when you install them)

I would have gladly paid them an extra $15 for the 17/32 drill bit, because I'm having a b*tch of a time finding it. But, I haven't exhausted all my sources yet.

I think they are going to be nice on the boat, they look great, the white matches in with the rest of the boat, and really stand out against the aqua-blue hull. Oh, and I'll like the ride too, I'm sure. :D

[ August 29, 2002, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: ShowMeSLT750 ]

Comment

I borrowed a drill bit from a local plastics mold manufacturing company.

I'd try calling local machine shops and such in your area.

Silly to buy the bit to drill 12 holes.

Of course I got home and wouldn't ya know the bit didn't fit in my 3/8 drill. I had to go borrow a 1/2 drill also.

Far as 180's go you better have big forearms.

I use to do a 540 on like glass conditions at 35 to 40 mph. Would not reccomend that with sponsons!!!!!! [img]graemlins/buck.gif[/img] ouch!

What used to be a 180 is now a quick hard U-turn and if your not ready watch yourself while dismounting.

[ August 29, 2002, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Polaris_Nut#1 ]
          He who dies with the most toys Still dies! So have fun with them 1970 SS 396 Chevelle, 86 ATC 250R (RAD valve,K&N, FMF gold series, bandit XC's), 97 XLT600SP (SLP tripple pipes, reverse, EPI clutch kit), 95 SL750 (all the bolt on's) & 96 SLX

Comment

I have a 94 SLT and put the 28" sponsons on about 5 years ago. They make a huge difference in the stability of the craft, and help the cornering out somewhat. It will still spin. Too much for me, I also fabricated some fins for the ride plate and pop-riveted them in place. I can't beach the rear end, but the difference is very nice. The craft will cut and carve much better than stock. It can still do a 180 or 270, but won't go around much more than that. The two combined totally stopped the sudden spin outs that it does stock. I also put a Skat-Trak 12-17 swirl impeller on. Goes like a bat out of hell out of the hole. Didn't seem to hurt the top speed any, but it certainly didn't increase it. Old Blue is getting old and won't go more than 47 mph anymore, but it will do it all day - probably for ever! I used inserts I found my self and have never had a moments problem with the sponsons. Just drill straight in and don't worry about the styrofoam. I used sealant between the sponsons and the hull, and thread tight on the bolts to guarantee no leaks.

Comment

I'm likely going to do the job this evening. One more question though: the instructional drawings draw a line at 4.5" down from the flat underside of the lip of the boat edge. Is this line the point at which the hole should go, or is this line the top edge of the sponson?

I think the line is the hole orientation, because if I put the sponson below the line it runs nearly even with the bottom edge of the hull - and that puts the inserts very close to the bottom edge too, in the corner of the inside hull, a thick area. If the line is for the actual hole, the bottom of the sponson is about 1" from the corner edge of the boat.

Probably didn't describe it good, but I'm going with the 4.5" mark beng the actual hole. It's better to be safe than sorry.

No one answered my previous question - are the inserts still relatively "watertight" once installed? (can take off the sponsons and other than the seal around them there's no water intake issues?) It seems that way.

Comment

I have a friend who took the sponsons off his SLX to do better spins, and he does'nt take on any water, but there were installed at the factory. The urethane sealant should make the inserts water tight with or without the sponsons installed.
                You will be suprised when you start drilling. The hull isn't as thick as you might think. I kept to the directions and doubble checked how they were located on my SLX. Made me nervous drilling into the hull.
                I put the 28 inch sponsons on my 95 SL 750 without the extended pump kit, so it makes spinng harder for me. I guess it's easier on a SLT. Now does any body know where I can get the 4 inch extention kit without spending $400 :( ? That's a little too much
                He who dies with the most toys Still dies! So have fun with them 1970 SS 396 Chevelle, 86 ATC 250R (RAD valve,K&N, FMF gold series, bandit XC's), 97 XLT600SP (SLP tripple pipes, reverse, EPI clutch kit), 95 SL750 (all the bolt on's) & 96 SLX

Comment

I put the polaris pro sponsons on my SL750. I have them set rather deep, but I corner like a knife now.

I can still do spinouts, but nothing like before... ya just gotta hang on for dear life.

Comment

I put them on Friday evening, ant was on the lake for a tryout on Sunday. I like them alot, can still spin out, but more importantly can turn on a dime, very noticeable difference!!

In looking at sponsons at other boats on lifts at the lake, I noticed mine seem to be quite aggressive compared to others, wide and cuts deep into the water.

Does anybody know, what aftermarket sponsons will fit my machine's holes, now that I've drilled the holes and put the inserts in (the hard part)? Not that I'm looking, just want to be prepared for any closeouts or used parts on sale that I find.

Comment

Any aftermarket sponson will bolt right up as long as it is not for the Pro hulls. Ebay always has Worx sponsons for Polaris' for $49.

Comment

Hey Showme,
                        Thanx for the heads-up on the deal at PolarisDirect! I ordered a set of the 23" sponsons last friday right after I read you post. They arrived yesterday and we started the install late today after we located the right drill bit, we will finish it up tomorrow.
                        The kit arrived in good order in timely fashion (Thank you Polaris for the Internet-order) and seems to be quite complete except for the drill-bit. The shipping box was a bit rough and I could see it was re-taped but when I opened the box I found out why. Someone at Polaris was making SURE everything was in the box. (In fact I ended up with an extra set of hardware and extra tube of urethane!)
                        I have looked around diff. places all summer for a set of these things and everyone priced them at $150-$180 which I thought was nuts to put on a 7 year old boat so I appreciate you letting us know about the deal! Saved enough $.00 I decided to splurge and buy the R&D intake grate at the same time!
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Just as a note,I wish I had had them on 90 days ago. It probably would have prevented an accident.
                        My son and my new son-in-law were out riding on the ski's "playing" splash- the-other-rider-with-a-face-full-of-tailwash, and ended up playing "bumper-boats" instead. The Polaris slid out instead of turning and hit the Sea-Doo at speed! Luckily no one got injured but it sure busted a hole in the hull on the left rear corner of the Polaris and **** near sunk it! Also lucky I know how to do basic fiberglass repair.

Thanx again,
                        Smoof

Comment

Smoof: No problem, glad to pass on the info. I too, was disappointed when I first saw Polaris' site say "out of stock" on the sponsons, but I looked a little further and there they were!

And now you're SO thankful you want to send me that extra bag of inserts and bolts, right? :D :D You got a real bargain there if you got an extra set - they are high-grade professional stuff!

I had already bought the R&D intake grate at Seebold in Osage Beach - I had seen the 29.95 special on the Polaris site, and told them about it, they matched the price for me. You'll like the R&D intake on the Lake of the Ozarks by the way, if you're on rough water (I'm at the 3 mm by Village Marina, you know what I deal with), seems to hook up better, not lose "grip" on the water as much. Will take 1 mph off top speed versus the stock grate though, but the trade off is worth it.

Speaking of Seebold - I must give my hats off to Larry at the parts desk - he was quite helpful in getting the parts I needed for putting my machine back together. Runs great, all went together perfectly. Thanks, Larry!

Anyway, glad to help. ShowMe [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X