Sponsons on SLT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsons on SLT?

Anyone ever try to put sponsons on a '95 or so SLT 750 that didn't come with them stock?

I am faced with what looks like unmovable stryrofoam in the sides, that won't come out w/o damaging them (they are loose, but it looks like they built the boat around them). I also don't like the idea of drilling from the outside and just putting in the surface-type inserts - I think they would bust off after a short while.

Am I "sunk" on this thought, should I forget it and wait for the performance mods till I get the next boat, a 2 seater?

[ August 19, 2002, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: ShowMeSLT750 ]

I sell the factory sponson kits and factory inserts that enable you to install sponsons on that watercraft the same way the factory does it. The kit sells for 79.99 and I have them in stock. Comes with 28" sponsons for the SLT all inserts, bolts and hardware, and instructions are included [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

How about the 1995 sl 750? How labor intensive is it and how long can I expect this to take?

Comment

Installation takes about 1 1/2 hours the first time and then about 45 minutes after you have done it once. Kit comes with the installation tool for the sponson kit along with all the hardware. I have 2 different kits one for the SL hulls (23" sponsons) and a differnet length sponson 28" for the SLT hull. If you have an extended pump then use the 28" sponsons similiar to the SLX's. :D

Comment

Doesn't the factory use backup plates inside the hull for reinforcement? I've got all that styrofoam to get thru (don't want to tear it out) and I'm afraid if I use the inserts only they'll pull out easily.

Comment

I put them on my SL 750 with no problem , using the inserts. Measured every thing at least a dozen times, made me nervous drilling into the hull

The kit should come with a tube of urethane caulk. DO NOT!!! get this stuff on you [img]/graemlins/angryfire.gif[/img] , use rubber gloves :D , This stuff is indestructible and will not tear out, least not yet [img]graemlins/buck.gif[/img] Oh, hardest part was finding a drill bit that big
            He who dies with the most toys Still dies! So have fun with them 1970 SS 396 Chevelle, 86 ATC 250R (RAD valve,K&N, FMF gold series, bandit XC's), 97 XLT600SP (SLP tripple pipes, reverse, EPI clutch kit), 95 SL750 (all the bolt on's) & 96 SLX

Comment

And they've never come off? How hard are you on turns?

You say the urethane should come with. Is it with the kit Tim is speaking of? Tim, are yours adjustable at all? Would like that option.

Comment

Yes the Polaris kit comes with the hull adhesive. As far as adjustability? No they are fixed. Not sure why you want to adjust this typr of sponson on this hull design as its not a closed course race boat./ Installing the sponson's as the directions state, makes this boat very stable in and out of any corner [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

This kit is really good and comes with all that you need to mount the sponsons. You can make the stock sponsons adjustable. What I did back in 96 when adding this kit to my SL750 (got the long 28" BTW) is to elongate the holes vertically so that you can make the sponson adjustable up and down. I had mine mounted as far down as possible and it carved excellent. This kit should also come with a paper template so you can't mess up the hole locations. If the kit still comes with the AVK inserts then you will need a 17/32 drill bit, but the drill bit size is also printed on the insert package? It is very important to get the exact bit size that is required to keep the insert from coming out.

Comment

Tim, would it be too much trouble if I ask you to scan and e-mail or fax me the paper template for the sponsons? I can't find mine and it's something I would like to have for possible future reference. Thanks and let me know.

Comment

Sea-lion You have mail . Its not what I call a template, but is what they ship with the instructions [img]graemlins/spit.gif[/img]

I use this and then mark a line on the hull and actually put the sponson I am going to use up against the hull and line it up with my line and mark the holes thru the sponson to the hull

Comment

Thanks Tim.

Comment

Well, I got the 28" white sponsons via UPS today, bought them for 39.99 at Polaris Direct, they are closing out on them (or at least having a special).

Intructions do call for the 17/32" bit. That's turning out to be the toughest thing to do in this project so far, as I went to three stores and no one had that exact size. I will endeavour though, as I know it's important for proper fitting of the inserts. But makes me wonder if I can get away with 1/2"?

Comment

Anybody got any "horror stories" on the inserts pulling out, etc...? I'm really hesitant about drilling those holes, but I know the boat will look and handle better afterwards.

My daughter is miffed because she thinks she won't be able to do 180's anymore at all. I would think its affected, but doesn't totally eliminate "180" ability?

Comment

What is "Polaris Direct"? I found 28" sponsons on Polaris' website, but they were NOT for the SLT and they are out of stock. Can you point me in the right direction. I would like to have them on hand in case I want to add them. I think like your daughter and do not want to loose the fun sliding characteristic, but if they are removeble, then you get the ride you want when you want it.

Comment

Working...
                              X