Polaris SLT 780 1996 Fuel level sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polaris SLT 780 1996 Fuel level sending unit

1996 SLT 780 fuel gage was reading low which limits engine rpm to 4200 to conserve fuel like a "electronic reserve setting" I think. After disconnecting the two leads to the sending unit and checking the resistance found circuit to have infinite ohms (like an open circuit). I have placed a 100 ohm resister into the circuit to keep system functioning at half fuel level so electrical system will let engine run normal. Questions: Where are the contacts inside the sending unit that can be cleaned of possible residue to make complete contact? If the float has absorbed water per the Polaris Technical Service information would the sending unit still read at the float down resistance of 240 ohms? Any thoughts or comments. Can the fuel sending unit be removed with tank still in hull. Thanks

I had a '96 SL 900 that did the same thing. It always read empty. Turned out to be the dreaded float problem. I was not able to pull the sending unit out until the gas tank was removed. It's pretty darn long... but you might depending on the room in your ski.

Comment

The tank has to be unbolted and moved forward to remove the sending unit. There is supposed to be a float repair kit available. check with Tim at Performance Motorsports. A complete new sending unit is about 160$, and should be tested for air leaks prior to installation. My new one failed and my motor blew up as an indicator. Be careful with it.

Comment

Thanks for the information. Looks like I will continue using the visual look for fuel level. Possibly after the ride season is over I will pull sending unit and repair.

Thanks again.

Comment

Yes I have the Float kit in stock $19.99 260-637-7953 :D

Comment

Re: Polaris SLT 780 1996 Fuel level sending unit

Hi my friend has the same ski and he removed the 3 hoses from the fuel sending unit. is it possible you could tell me where the 3 hoses go because he never marked the hoses when he took them off. I need to know where they connect at the tank. please email me at harvcharg@aol.com thanks Jim

Comment

If you remove the four bolts that secure the tank, use this trick when replacing them: Wedge a piece of paper between the socket and the bolt head to secure the bolt to the socket. This will allow you to fish around for the tapped hole without dropping the bolt.

Comment

Look closely at the top of the sending unit as they should be marked.

Comment

Working...
                X